Chapter 6

The day before, Elora made it to the river bank. The sky was at dusk. A bright red glow oozed from the horizon, diffusing into its blue yonder like an extinguished ash in a black hearth. She had left the castle quite inconspicuously and knew no one was aware she was gone. At least not yet. She chuckled, wondering why her father and mother hadn't put a lock on her door that very afternoon. Perhaps to prevent terrible beings from entering her room or with the intention of keeping her from leaving, the lack of a lock to Elora was permission enough to leave. Still, she felt a pang of guilt. They trusted her. They expected her to know to stay in the castle, in the safe keep of her family's home. She would do the exact opposite.

She approached the bridge where Robert would meet her. A tingling sensation of excitement and anxiety crept up in her stomach and she felt as though the world was moving faster than usual. She worried for a moment that he would sneak up on her but noticed a horse and rider in the distance across the bridge. She crossed the bridge and strode to the other side in time to see Robert approach the glen. He didn't greet her, but still appeared relieved she was there to greet him and that she believed his plan.

"Up," he said, and grabbed her forearm, hoisting her up as she jumped from the ground in one easy motion. She sat behind him, her dress catching under her. She adjusted and he urged the horse forward. They followed the river for a while, long enough to watch the sun's light completely seep from the sky. Above them, the same stars that Airc was watching from the pit at that very moment glistened down through the navy veil. The air was still warm but contained a cool layer that breezed against her exposed skin. They were headed East and would most likely ride all night into the daybreak.

Elora rarely ventured in this direction. In fact, most of the Eastern lands were ruled by the many military legions occupying them. She would often visit her father's encampment, before he had retired, which was a one day's ride away, but Southeast. She wondered if her father's camp was their first destination, but when Robert took an unexpected turn North, she fell back into her cloud of uncertainty.

The ride was getting bumpier and she was tired. Robert must have been able to sense this, maybe by the weakening of her hands on his waist, so he slowed.

"Elora, aren't you curious about where we're going?" He asked, turning his head towards her slightly. They had now entered the woods and the trees around them, rare Wickabout Trees, stood tall, thin, and majestic around them. Centuries of leaves underfoot created a soft surface and the bumpiness eased. Gradual hills surrounded them and had it not been for the Wickabout trees, the land would have been a glorious, green prairie extending for miles and miles. She suddenly had a feeling that the trees had made a conscious effort to grow in this part and it gave her enjoyment to dream of such a thing. Elora had never been here and grew weary at the prospect of many unknown hours ahead of riding that might ensue.

"I do not want to pester you with questions, nor do I believe you will have an answer to most of them," she replied. Robert laughed.

"Why do you believe I would not know? And what led you to believe you would pester me?" He asked.

"Oh, a number of things. First of all, in regards to your answering my questions, I doubt that you know our first destination yourself. I believe you are guessing along the way and know only of our final destination, that of your brother's prison camp. Second, you seem like the type to be pestered easily," Elora replied, maintaining a frankness in her voice that immediately felt endearing to Robert.

"Alright, you win with your first analysis. But why the second?"

"Well, first of all, you are obviously under tremendous stress at the idea your brother is being tortured and do not wish to speak about it or carry on with meaningless jabber. As well, you seem to have turned to me as a last resort and I do not think you are happy to have me as a companion and are eager to deliver me to the destination and be done with this burden. Finally, you are young and have much to learn about the military, and I think you would rather be with your brigade then on a one-man mission," she finished. The trees around them towered, listening in.