Chapter 9

Isadora Coral Baird (Beffery)❃

"Where exactly am I here?" Isa looked around the room where Chalton had taken her. No one was here. Were the games starting now? No, that wasn't possible. Janine had mentioned a parade."Isadora Beffery?" Isa wheeled round. A middle-aged man had entered the room. His clothes reminded her of a forest. Countless small leaves hung from his dark green shirt. His trousers were only a rather inconspicuous green."I'm Franklin Clyson, your stylist." "My stylist?" Clyson gave her a puzzled look. Isa turned away and analysed the room more closely. There was a kind of couch at the back. "As a stylist, it's my job to dress you for the parade and your interview. That shouldn't be a problem with you, I can finally work with bright colours and your hair lends itself to that.""What happens at the parade? I thought I had to go to the Hunger Games." Had she just got it all wrong?
"You only enter the Hunger Games after the parade, the training period and the interviews. The people see you for the first time at the parade. You and your fellow tribute ride on a float. Have you never seen the games before?" Isa shook her head. A few days ago, she hadn't even known that Panem existed."Well, that doesn't matter now. Please lie down on the couch, Segrenda will be with you soon.It turned out that Isa hated Segrenda. Deep down. It hurt so much when Segrenda removed every single hair from her body. Luckily, at least she left Isa's hair and eyebrows alone. Isa decided to bombard Segrenda with angry looks. Anything else wouldn't help her anyway."Are you finished?" No response. Isa sighed. Segrenda didn't seem to be interested in her at all. But she didn't have to be, Isa preferred rude silence to rude words.

As if out of nowhere, Segrenda turned away and ran behind the partition. Saying goodbye wasn't that difficult after all. Isa sat up. Maybe she could get out of here somehow. Just as she was about to get up, Franklin Clyson came to her. 'Ah, you're finished. Segrenda has informed me. Come with me, I'll show you your dress." With these words, Clyson left. Isa jumped up from the couch. Her legs still hurt, just like her arms. "What do I do during the parade? Do I just stand on the float?"
Clyson just shook his head in disappointment."That doesn't answer my question." Clyson muttered: "For once you get a tribute that doesn't come from the hem. Stupid as a straw, though.""What did you call me?" Isa felt the anger begin to boil inside her. But instead of answering her further question, Clyson pulled out a black dress."Oh, black isn't really my colour. I prefer more colourful things." No answer. What had she done wrong?He held up the dress completely. Okay, now even Isa had to admit that it was quite pretty.

Coriolanus Snow✵

"Ten minutes until the parade," Shane reminded Coriolanus and Dr Gaul. Coriolanus struggled not to fall asleep. All the quiet sitting was not good for him and his lack of sleep. He would have liked to go home straight away.Dr Gaul had agreed to read his work after all. Luckily, otherwise it would all have been for nothing."Are you looking forward to a particular district, Coriolanus?" Shane looked at him curiously. "Not really, if there is, it's District 2, my cousin designed her clothes.""How nice." How nice. Well, for once Shane was right about that. Tigris had been overjoyed when she had learnt that she was no longer responsible for District 5, but for District 2 instead. A career district also paid better, as these tributes had to be put in the spotlight even more.It had been a big step for Tigris and her career. Soon, Coriolanus would take a big step in his career as well. All he had to do was take out Dr Gaul before Shane did, because Gaul would expose his murder immediately.She was smart. Too smart.

Isadora Coral Baird

"Lecan! What do you look like?" Lecan looked pretty strange. His stylist had smeared black paint on his face and there were blobs of black paint on his grey suit."I wasn't so lucky with my stylist," Lecan replied dryly. Isa smiled sympathetically at him. She felt sorry for him. The only thing their outfits had in common was the black hats.The next moment, Isa found herself next to Lecan on a wagon. "Look, horses!" she said happily. Lecan smiled at her."Isa, you'll have to wave to the people later. Smile and wave, all right?" Isa nodded. "Okay, thanks." She was grateful to Lecan for saying it of his own accord. She felt a little uncomfortable always having everything explained to her.Suddenly the car started moving. They drove through a gate. So many people were standing on huge stands and cheering them on. Now Isa also saw eleven floats in front of her, the young people were also wearing costumes and dresses. Isa didn't really know where to look, there were just too many impressions. Then she spotted her smiling face on a screen.Cautiously, like most of the other tributes, Isa began to wave. It was a strange feeling to have so many people looking at her.

❉Coriolanus Snow❉

The tributes from District 1 were already heading back. Then came the tributes from District 2. Tigris had done a really good job with her male tribute. Coriolanus? Can we talk now?" Shane whispered in his ear. He looked at her questioningly at first, but then nodded.Perhaps she realised that their 'relationship' was pointless. Hopefully. Coriolanus had actually been hoping to go home straight away to catch up on his sleep.When the tributes from 12 finally passed the playmakers' stand, the girl caught his eye again. There was something strange about her. She seemed lost and at the same time quite confident. At 17, the boy had a much better chance. He didn't seem stupid. Maybe District 12 had its first victor this year. Although, actually, he should say second winner. Lucy Gray.

So that was the ninth chapter. I hope you enjoyed it!
By the way, in the next chapter, the Coveys get a surprise visitor.