One

I started to lose count of the times I turned the knob on the stereo. The attempts for the hard rock radio to drown out the sounds of my phone ringing off the wall proved futile, I still heard that horrible ringtone.

The most annoying song in the world. "What Ifs." A stupid Kane Brown song. It was Bryant's favorite song, he's the one that insisted that be his ringtone. I hated country music. That probably should've been my first sign that we'd never work out.

Finally I reached over for my phone in my small truck, quickly turning it completely off and throwing it to the other seat, adverting my eyes back to the backroad I was driving down.

The reason I didn't do that in the first place was because I'd be a moron to turn my phone off when I'm alone by myself driving in the woods two hours from home. At this point I'd rather get slaughtered by a random psycho in the woods than hear that goddamn Kane Brown song again.

I pushed the thoughts of my recent ex boyfriend out of my head as my truck turned into the small gas station, I painted a smile onto my face as a sudden thought filled my head.

This was going to be a vacation, partially an escape. That's why I chose to go so far away. I might as well enjoy it.

After parking at one of the gas pumps, I ignored the gaze of an older looking man with a shabby white beard glaring down my steps as I trailed inside the small store. This was almost like the perfect opening to every horror movie ever.

Children of the Corn, Friday the 13th, Wrong Turn. I'm next.

The store stunk of what I could only describe as rotting tobacco and beer, mixed with the BO of a wrestler.

I gave a gentle smile to the woman behind the register before passing her, making my way towards the freezers in the back.

Gage, my younger brother, never allows me to drink anymore. After practically raising him from age six and up, I smoked like I was a forty year old mother with no job and six kids. No, our parents just split, leaving a seventeen year old me to drop out and take care of him. But after he turned fifteen, he made me swear off drinking and smoking.

This vacation I'm going to indulge in the pleasures of life I've been denied. Plus, what could it hurt if its only for three weeks?

After grabbing both a bottle of Fireball and peach Barefoot wine, I headed to the register, slowly sliding the bottles to the woman with thin brown hair pulled in a bun.

"Can I get a pack of Marlboro Golds and gas on two?" I asked as I reached for my wallet, the disturbing silence around the store suddenly unnerving me. Usually there's music playing or something, or at least the sounds of cars on the street ahead.

I guess I can't expect much from a small gas station in the middle of nowhere.

"Are you here for the festival?"

I looked to the woman with furrowed brows, her insanely vibrant blue eyes staring me down as she scanned my items. The most normal of humans I meet with these beautiful features, a hidden treasure almost.

"Festival?"

"Fall festival, the town throws them each year. Our singing competition attracts people from out of town, it gets popular fast," she explained in a dead tone.

I had no idea there was anything like that here.

"I'm just here for a mini vacation, I'm actually headed up to Lake Ridge, it's just around the corner up here I think," I pointed behind me, the woman's amused expression nodding slightly.

"Twenty ninety nine," she mumbled, I handed my card to her slowly.

I slowly started to gaze around again, and that's when I noticed something I didn't before.

A small bulletin board just beside the door, facing inside of the store instead of out of it. Aside from the normal banners that read "Fall Festival" and what not, I noticed at least four disturbing looking papers.

Every single one had a close up of smiling strangers, men and women, but they shared one thing in common. Large bold red letters reading, "MISSING."

"Are they from here?" I questioned out loud as the lady handed my card back to me, also turning to gaze at the board with me.

"All of them born and raised. Knew all of them too. Don't let it scare you though, they're fine, just on a bender," she waved her hand to me, dismissing me as she then slid my bag to me.

They didn't look the type. In flannels and purses slung over their shoulders, almost no skin blemishes and their teeth white as can be. Not to stereotype, but these definitely look documentary worthy.

"If you say so... Thank you."

After quickly leaving and lighting a cigarette as I continued my journey up the twisted backroad towards the lodge. Getaway cabins, I wasn't sure how many there were in total, all I knew is that I rented cabin 14 for 23 days, and it's up the hill beside the lake.

I hope I have fun.

***

Night fell quickly. My first initial concern with the area was the fact I thought my car was about to completely fall apart driving up the uneven dirt and rocks through the forest, a poor attempt at a somewhat road. Thankfully my car made it to the very top with no problem, leading me straight to my comfy and cozy little cabin awaiting me.

The inside was small, a dark green carpet resting in the living room, a singular black couch with a small table and TV. The back porch wasn't even big enough to fit a single chair, but that's okay, because the front porch was huge and had the cutest auto-lighting lanterns I'd ever seen.

There was also only two bedrooms and a singular bathroom, but that's okay, I was planning on staying alone the entire time.

I practically loved it. Since I was a little girl I dreamt of having a vacation like this. Well actually, just camping with my dad or Gage even. Dad wasn't really the camping type.

Or a vacation at the beach with my mom, but she wasn't the beach type.

It's fine. It works out a lot better by myself on these vacations, next time I'll bring Gage when he doesn't have school. That way we'll finally get that family vacation I've been dying for.

I unpacked the small amounts of food Gage packed for me himself and stored them into the fridge, along with the alcohol and other drinks. I also stored the products I'll be needing for the next three weeks in the bathroom along with a first aid, just in case I got hurt out here.

By the time half of my clothes were put away into the drawers I was practically on the verge of passing out.

My finger barely grazed over the cold sheets of the bed, I couldn't resist. Without even shutting the open window to my new bedroom, I collapsed onto the sheets, letting myself drift away and eagerly wait for the excitement of tomorrow.