𝟕 | 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐟𝐮𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐝.

Daybreak came after pointless tossing and turning for everyone

Daybreak came after pointless tossing and turning for everyone. Almost all of them went out to collect materials from out in the yard for the funeral.
The sound of vehicles coming up the long stretch of gravel made all eyes look up.

Inside Hershel was giving Carl an exam as Rick, Lori and Nate were at his bedside. Carl was doing much better than the day before. He even woke up for a little while.

"They're here." T-Dog came to inform them.
Nate stood and gave Carl a quick kiss on the top of his head because heading out.

"Nate!" Jamie exclaimed while leaving Carols side running to him as he sat down on the porch step. "You're hurt." The once happy voice dropped to a little above a whisper.

She took a seat next to him. "I'm alright. I'll be good as new before you know it." He put one arm around her and held tight.

Dale spoke. "How is he?"

Rick placed both hands on his hips. "He'll be okay thanks to Hershel and his family."

Lori replace quickly followed Rick spoke. "Nate and Shane too. If not for them Carl would've died."

"Hey man. Nice to see you still in one piece."
Daryl nodded over to Nate.

Everyone went around giving hugs of support. Rick explained what had happened about the accident and afterwards they began the funeral.

Hershel lead them as he spoke from the Lord's book.
Everyone took turns adding a stone to the pile as he spoke. "He died as he lived, In grace."

The words beat into Shane's head as he unnoticeably stole a glance over to Nate. He has standing beside Jamie looking down at the ground. Both men having to relive the memory of that night. Hershel turned asking them to come forward to speak on behalf for Otis. Neither moved from their spot.

"Please. You were the last ones with him in his final moments. I need to know his death had meaning."
Patricia begged. "Even just one of you."

All eyes were torn between them but their eyes never left the dirt. Finally Shane stepped forward and faced the group.

"We were about done. Down on ammo too. Otis and I were down to pistols by then. Nate's got dropped when he barely escaped a horde before we all regrouped.
I was limping pretty bad all swollen up. Nate couldn't move his left side."

Shane took a brief pause as his emotions were becoming harder for him to control. He seemed to start zoning out with an unnerving look on his face. Nate recognizing the signs from his own PTSD episodes spoke up.