1

They can't kill us until they kill us.

I don't think I've heard truer words leave my lips. Coursing through my lungs and vibrating my tongue as it left my mouth in sound. Words are powerful things, they all say. But they don't mention that guns are powerful things too. 

Words can end a life, they say.

Guns can too, but for some reason those are innocent.

Mental pain hurts, they say.

So does physical, I say.

I agree with all of it, but what if the world was in peace, instead of in pieces?

"Jamie freaking Brev, wake the frick up!" I'm snapped into reality to see Cleo in my face. Her bright cinnamon colored skin glowing from the small light, and her large blue eyes tell me a story, and long curly hair falls around her face in tight ringlets. 

"What?" I finally say, and she sighs, getting off me and onto her own cot next to mine.

"Do you really not remember?" I close my eyes again and nod.

"Humor me." I say, with not much enthusiasm. I hear a loud snort, and then she starts talking.

"Commander Oren is officially marking us as soldiers in the army. At least in a month he's going to send us out to conquer Vespium." She says, an excited look on her face. I make a small laugh.

"I can't see why you're excited about that. You could die, you know." I open my eyes now, and her smile is gone.

"Jamie, that hurts girl."  Her smile returns and we both start laughing, but it's a bit sad. I tear a thin blanket off my body, sliding out of the small cot me and Cleo sleep on. I pull on my uniform, a simple black tank top and white cargo pants. My gun already strapped into the holster. I tap the button that raises the door to our pod and walk out without another word.

I glance around the camp. Nyx is smoking on a cigarette resting on a log. Her long pink hair draped over it. I walk over to her, and spot a bottle of vodka, and without asking, I pop off the lid and start drinking, she looks at me, a small smile on her face. "Thirsty, huh?" 

I laugh, "yeah. What're you doing?" I ask, "looking at the clouds? Not much up there except for smoky sky." 

She frowns.

"Yeah, but, have you ever wondered what life would be like without, war, and everything? Just, living. Looking at the sky, it just slows it down a bit."

I don't answer, she then looks at my hair, "do you want to dye it again? I found some at the gates." I pull at my choppy brown hair, filled with thick bleached strands. I blow at one large bleached strand at the front of my face. 

"Maybe." I say, but I'm not sure.

"Okay." Then we stand there. Just standing. I take another whisk of vodka, and it's wonderful but sour taste fills my tongue, numbing my body. 

"Maybe I should take that," Nyx tugs the bottle out of my hand, her creamy gray eyes filled with laughter as I try to take it back. "Are you ready for today?" she says, dropping the cigarette on the ground and sitting up. 

"Honestly? I don't know, I've dreamed of this since I came here. To make a difference, help conquer Vespium, but for some reason, it all feels wrong."

"I wouldn't say that, oh Jamie, please don't say that." She says, her voice urgent. 

"Why not?" Her eyes dart from side to side.

"Listen, you can get really hurt for even showing a bit of disloyalty towards the President."

"How would you know?" I press, getting annoyed.

"I just do, but please promise me that you won't ever try to go against them, or even think about it. They can do horrible things, I know, but I beg you Jamie, promise me." I nod, a little bit of fear crawling up my spine. 

"So, I'm going on patrol, wanna come?" I ask, looking for a way to get out of the conversation. Her gaze softens. 

"Sure."