Ticket (Elias POV)

At the time I got home after getting my last paycheck, the rest of the day just blurred.  For the most part, I chilled at home and worked on the computer.  When I got ready for bed that night, I knew I was going to have trouble falling asleep.  I used to have problems with insomnia in my tumultuous teenage years because of my parents issues and anxiety weighing me down.

Even before my mother caught my father's infidelity, their arguments were fueled by disputes over things like finances and career choices.  When dinner time was served, the atmosphere at the table was tense and quiet, with occasional questions from my father to Nils and me.  I knew his questions were merely perfunctory gestures, devoid of genuine care.  Similarly, my mother exhibited a similar indifference. 

However, dinner often was a catalyst for conflict.  It only took one remark from either my mother or father to ignite a tense and heated argument. This prompted Nils and me to flee to a quiet void to avoid the escalating cacophony of their perpetual disputes. 

They weren't compatible.  This made me apprehensive about whom I chose to be in a relationship with.  

The thin walls of our house served as poor barriers against the tumult within.  It also did not help as our rooms were adjacent to each other.  Every curse, every raised voice, every tear shed in the midst of it reverberated through the house.  Some nights my father would storm out, leaving my mother shattered.  Yet through all of this, divorce remained a distant prospect until my mother caught him sleeping with another woman.

My brother, Nils, was just a little boy at the time and since they were so fed up with their relentless conflict, I had to take care of him.  With my parents consumed by their own strife, I often found myself shouldering the burden of household chores and daily tasks with Nils.  

There were many nights where I was stressed out--my brother's needs, my parents conflict, and the relentless storms outside.  I used to find solace as a child in thunder, but now it only added to my distress, its deafening roar is a painful reminder of the chaos within our home.  Even earplugs couldn't drown out the noise, nor could they alleviate the pounding headache in my head.

As Nils got older, his demands lessened, but the fear lingered.  There were nights when we huddled in a corner, bracing for the storm that was my father's rage.  It wasn't until I moved out that I gained back some sleep, but there were still moments when I tossed and turned. 

I knew Nils would leave my mother's side eventually, since college is coming up for him, but I wish he knew how much I actually did care for him.  It was as though he was oblivious to the sacrifices I made and the challenges I helped him overcome.  In many ways, I practically raised him.  

Despite my physical emancipation, the wounds of my past refused to heal completely, manifesting as sleepless nights haunted my memories.  Each moment of bliss that occurred in Wysandale was but a fleeting illusion that was swiftly shattered over time.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, through my restless night, I decided to call my mother to tell her that I was fired.  She would want to know, since she was the one who told me to get the job in the first place.  I dialed her number, placed the phone up by my ear, and it rang out for a second before she responded.  

"Hello Elias, how are you?" she asked me.  I rarely call her, so she tends to get concerned when I do out of the blue.

"I could be better."  I adjust my posture up on the bar stool beside my kitchen island.  

"Vad är fel?" she asked, her tone growing more worried.  As she asked me what was wrong in Swedish, her accent became noticeably stronger.  Sometimes she had phrases she only said in Swedish, which I found peculiar.

"Do you remember Offredi's that I've been working at?"  I asked her.  "What happened?" Her tone turned serious.

"I told Mr. and Mrs. Offredi the truth behind my Dad's scandals.  Now, I know you're probably mad at me doing that," I started but my mother interrupted.

"I would've told them," she laughs then continues, "He deserves to rot in jail.  And you should inherit SwiftNord,"  I sigh audibly, and she hears it.

"You don't agree with me?"  she probed.

"No, I do. But they fired me because they don't believe me.  And truth be told, I don't know if I should've told them what my father did.  If Dad finds out I told them, he's going to make me pay eventually," I admitted, a sudden fear creeping into my voice.

"Your Dad can't do anything to you. You're way stronger than him.  But what are you going to do now that you're fired?" she asked with genuine interest.

"I'm sure you have another job for me lined up in Sweden," I retorted with some sarcasm. 

"Hey, I won't stand in the way of another job for you.  You know why I wanted you to work at Offred's in the first place.  Also, did you say 'in Sweden'?" she questioned, sounding surprised. 

"Yes, I did.  I'm going to move back there.  I can't handle this environment here." I let out a breath, feeling a mix of relief and anxiety wash over me.  Unable to sit still, I started pacing in circles in the kitchen, my mind racing with thoughts and emotions.  Each step echoed in the empty room.

"It's Lorena, isn't it?" 

"Mom, let's not bring her up,"  I said, my voice growing slightly louder.

"Well you can't run from love, Elias," she stated matter-of-factly.

"She doesn't love me, and I don't love her.  She completely cheated on me and treated me like garbage,"  I declared emphatically, tired of my own thoughts and tired of people assuming I was still in love with her.

"Okay then, I'll keep my opinions to myself.  I'll talk to you later.  Keep in touch with your brother, please."

"Okay I will.  Bye, Mom," I ended the call by pressing the red "end call" button.  

Sitting back in my chair, I slid my computer in front of me on the table.  When I opened the screen, I searched for tickets to Sweden.  I scrolled down and selected a flight leaving soon.

 I opened the screen and went to the internet to look up tickets to Sweden.  I scrolled down and chose the flight that was leaving soon. 

There was no hesitation as I clicked the "pay now" button, entered my information, and looked at the screen.

As the computer processed my transaction, I noted that I was leaving for Sweden in just two days, come morning.