2 | A Party to Die For

The next few days passed like a blur and every day in school felt just as exciting. Brooke and Emily had become her staple friends and Dakota had enjoyed sitting with them at lunch, laughing, throwing hot dog pieces to the birds, and them trying to teach her to skateboard and failing miserably. Even Noah had dropped in every now and then, with the occasional visit from Zach and Mike. It had been a hazy end of the week and before she knew, Dakota was curled up in bed on Friday night. Just before she turned off her YouTube video to got to sleep, she got a text.

        Emily: hey queen

Dakota: wassup

        Emily: what you doing tomorrow?

Dakota thought for a moment. True, she was doing nothing but what if Emily wanted to do something overtly social?

Dakota: not sure yet

        Emily: well a few of us are going to

Lovers Lake tomorrow if you're keen?

Lovers Lake?

Dakota: whats that?

        Emily: its this hidden spot where all us

        cool kids go to hang out. It's gonna

        be the last time we can swim tho since

         its gonna get too cold soon so

        pls pls come if you can. It'll be a laugh!

Dakota thought for a moment and decided to be brave.

Dakota: sure!

        Emily: YES! Okay so please meet us here at 10am?
Dakota: sounds good!

        Emily: I'll ask Noah if he wants to come too ;)

In came a pin for Google Maps pointing to some trail at the edge of the suburbs. Following it on the map, she could see the great lake Emily was talking bout only it was called 'Hackett's Reservoir'. Lovers Lake was maybe a nickname. Damn, hopefully Emily doesn't want to make out.

The next morning, her parents were confused as to where she was going so bright and early on a Saturday morning (usually she'd sleep until midday at least). When she explained she was going out with her friends, they were ecstatic and even slipped her $30 to have fun. Emily mentioned swimming, so Dakota decided to ditch her classic grey hoodie and make an effort. She threw a Lana del Rey oversized t-shirt over her black bathing suit and paired it with some grey shorts. Usually she'd save jewellery for special occasions but today was the day she wore a silver chain on top. How adventurous. Completing the look was a pair of sandals, some sunnies from Urban Outfitters and then a satchel which she put her purse and digital camera for good measure. Hitching a ride from her father, ten minutes later she'd arrived at the start of the trail in the car park where Emily waved them down. Behind her, Mike and Noah were lugging an ice box from the trunk of a car and Dakota quickly said her goodbyes before her dad could ask what was inside. Only once the red Volvo disappeared from view did she turn her attention to them.

"What's in the box?" She asked, using her hand to shield the sun from her eyes. It wasn't exactly too warm a day but the smell of freshly-mowed grass hing in the air that made her feel summery.