Chapter 2 The Council of Elrond

Nithas's POV

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom," Elrond said. Great way to start a meeting, I thought. I scanned the men, elves, and dwarves seated. I saw Aragorn, Denethor's son, Boromir, Gandalf, and the halfling, Frodo. I could also sense another halfing, Sam hiding behind plants to eavesdrop. I mentally chuckled. His determination was admirable.

My internal laughter died down when my eyes fell on a certain elf. I gulped. Legolas. I did not expect him to be here. I swallowed hard. It was difficult enough to escape the suspicions of Gandalf and Elrond, but Legolas? I could only hope his memories would not stir. Otherwise, it could end quite disastrously for me.

"Bring forth the Ring, Frodo," Elrond said, gesturing to a round table in the middle.

Frodo got up, and I could see uncertainty and nervousness in every move he made. He walked up and placed the Ring on the stone table. There were gasps all around. Everyone stared at it. "So it is true," Boromir said, eyeing the Ring with a hungry gleam in his eye. "It is a gift," he said, rising from his chair. I eyed him; I could see that he was falling under the temptation of the Ring. "A gift to the foes of Mordor! Why not use this Ring?" There were quizzical looks from all around. "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon of the Enemy," Borormir said, gesturing to us. "Let us use it against him!" He shouted. I rolled my eyes. Fool, I thought. You claim to be of Gondorian heritage, yet you do not know that the only Sauron is the Master of the Ring.

"You cannot wield it," Aragorn spoke up. "None of us can. The one Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master!"

Boromir turned. "And what would a ranger know of this matter?" He questioned, hate filling his gaze. I gripped my hidden knife.

"This is no mere ranger," Legolas said, rising from his chair as well. "He is Aragorn, Son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." All eyes turned to Aragorn. I gripped the handle of my knife tighter.

"Aragorn?" Boromir more likely said out of disbelief than anything. "This is Isildur's heir?

"And the heir to the throne of Gondor," Legolas said fiercely.

"Havo dad, Legolas," Aragorn said. Legolas slowly sat down. "Gondor has no King," Boromir said, staring at Legolas. "Gondor needs no king," he said glaring at Aragorn as he spoke. Aragorn did not back down as well.

"Aragorn is right," Gandalf said. "We cannot use it." Elrond straightened his shoulders. "You have only one choice," he said. "The Ring must be destroyed," he said grimly.

"Then what are we waiting for?!" Gimli, the dwarf said, and came forward raising his axe. He brought it down upon the Ring. I shook my head. The rashness of dwarves would get them killed one day, mark my words.

However, as the axe connected with the golden ring, Gimli's axe shattered. Gimli was thrown backwards. "The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess," he said. "The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came."

As Elrond spoke, I noticed a whisper in the air. It was a foul voice, and the language was of Mordor; it was a voice I had not heard in a long time.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,

ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul, It whispered.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them, I translated. 

Elrond looked around the Council, his eyes lingering on me. "One of you must do this."

"One does not simply walk into Mordor," Boromir said. I groaned mentally. This man was not a very optimistic person. He let out a long sigh. "Its Black Gates are guarded more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The Great Eye is ever watchful. Tis a barren wasteland. Riddled with fire, and ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume," Boromir said, giving a crazy grin. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly!" He said.

At this, Legolas stood up again. "Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond just said? The RIng must be destroyed!" He shouted. "And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?!" Gimli roared. Legolas stared coldly at Gimli. "And if we fail, what then?" Boromir once again engaged in conversation. "What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?!"

Ignoring this, Gimli stood up, shouting, "I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an elf! Never trust an elf!" At this, the other elves that previously seated stood up, shouting back at Gimli. The rest of the dwarves stood up as well, shouting and roaring curses at each other. Legolas was holding out an arm to restrain the other elves.

At this point, everyone except for Frodo, Aragorn, Lord Elrond, and I stood up and argued. I shook my head. And I thought a Council was supposed to be organized.

I noticed that Frodo was breathing heavily; I guessed he could hear the voice of Sauron in his head as well.

Then he did something unexpected. I stood up and shouted, "I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor!" I stared at him. Was this halfling really thinking straight? Did he really want to burden himself with the weight of the fate of Middle Earth?

Everyone grew quiet as they stared at Frodo. "Though," he said, his voice becoming smaller. "I do not know the way." "I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins," he said as he clapped a gentle hand on Frodo's shoulder. "As long as it is yours to bear."

Aragorn came forward. "By my life or death, I can protect you. I will. You have my sword," he said, coming up to Frodo as well."

"And you have my bow," Legolas said. moving to stand behind Frodo as well. "And my axe," GImli said.

Now this is getting interesting, I thought. Legolas made a face as if he was thinking, 'God, not this dwarf again,'. But Legolas made no comment. Boromir approached. "You carry the fates of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done," he said.

I stood up as well. Many heads turned to me as if they had only noticed me now; some were eyeing me with suspicion and wariness, though with good reason. I had not taken off my mask nor hood, so I did look like one with ill intent.

"I may be of assistance in getting you to Mordor, for I know shortcuts in all lands. If I can, I will help you to destroy the Ring." I stood Boromir and Legolas.

"Ah!" Sam shouted, rushing out from behind the plant. "Mr. Frodo's not going anywhere without me," he said,crossing his arms and standing next to Frodo.

"No, indeed, it is hardly possible to separate you, even when he was summoned to a secret Council and you were not," Lord Elrond said, a faint smile tugging at his lips. From behind the columns, Merry and Pip[in rushed at, gaining a look of confusion from almost everyone. "Oi! We're coming too," they shouted, rushing up to Frodo just like Sam did. "You'll have to send us home, tied up in a sack to stop us," Merry said, gaining a look of delight from Frodo. "Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing," he said awkwardly. "Well, that rules you out Pip," Merry said. Pippin frowned.

Elrond eyed us. "Ten companions," he said. "So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring." He said.

"Right," Piping, grinning excitedly. "Where are we going?" Merry stared at Pippin.