Chapter 2

"I want my younger siblings to look up at me

And say,

'Hey! Let me call my brother!

He would know how to handle this without

Letting our parents know!'

But,

Then I remember,

They got the best and redeemed versions

Of our parents

While I was stuck with their messed up and confused ones!"

~Tristan Benneth

A sixteen-year-old Tristan stood beside his father as he filled and signed out the receipts for the car that the cops had seized.

His white Chevrolet Impala had been seized on the road, for being parked in the no-parking zone.

However, in his defense, he would say that the sign read 'no parking within the specified distance.

The line drawn to specify the end of the limit had been faint to the slightest, making it hard to say where the limit ended.

And neither was he someone, who would go out with a scale to measure the distance and see whether he could park or not.

The distance which he does not remember now due to the amount of anxiety bubbling within him.

Standing silently, he saw his father pay off the fine.

A feeling to itch the skin right below the nail of his middle finger of the left hand crept.

To get his mind off the impending punishment, he simply gave in, but no amount of rubbing could relax him.

Finally, after what seemed like hours to him, his father stood up.

The receipt of the fine in his hand, as he shook his other hand with the officer in a firm handshake before his vehicle was set free.

"A firm handshake means a person of no-nonsense! An important rule of life Tristan. It shows your confidence in the person in front!" his father would always educate him.

Christian Benneth was an ardent follower of rules, and the fact that his son's negligence had cost him some dues, did not sit well with him.

The ride back home was silent.

As for Tristan, it was filled with all types of tension and anxiety, with the thought of the forthcoming scenarios.

His father, who had traveled in his car, a white 2018 BMW XI, had left for his office not before setting him off with a deadly glare.

His car had been seized in broad daylight, in the middle of the afternoon, which might have been one of the prime causes of Christian's anger, Tristan reasoned out.

His father might have been in the middle of an important work when he called him

Tristan's return home was not much appreciated by his mum either.

No snide remarks were passed.

But the silent treatment said it all.

Later that night, Christian had paid the impending visit to his son's room.

Profanities were muttered.

Hands were raised.

But one sentence struck him a lot,