My Life

Sometimes you really don't know what destiny has planned for you.

My name is Rayna Sanghi Kapoor and I'm getting ready to run from my marriage. Yes, you read it right.

My family is living in New York City since 1995 when Raj Sanghi Kapoor (my dad) got married to Meera Sanghi Kapoor (my maa), in Punjab, India. They shifted to New York City as Raj wanted to start a business of his own along with continuing his studies and Meera, being shy and traditional Indian woman became a housewife to take care of her husband.

As time passed, Raj's business, SK Enterprises grew and developed among Americans and NRIs. The couple gave birth to two girls after after few years of their marriage. Their elder daughter Sifra Sanghi Kapoor (Sif), was the prodigal daughter and the future CEO of SK Enterprises. Their younger daughter Rayna Sanghi Kapoor (me) the naughty and rebel kid of the house.

My parents loved my sister and supported her in every step and why not? she was a topper in academics, got scholarships for PhDs and she was about to take over my dad's business. Me, on the other hand just wanted to live my life, and be myself. I wanted to accomplish my dream in fashion and marketing, but my family never supported me, they used to think it's not a stable career path, they discouraged me, mocked me, my mother even used to body shame me as I was always a chubby one in the house. My sister was the only one who understood me and I knew that whatever she did was to please our parents. I tried so many times to tell her to pursue her dream, she wanted to become an artist, but she never spoke about it outside our room. Whenever she used to paint or sketch, i would take her sketches to add in my collection. I never knew that her silence would turn into depression.

Few months ago, mom dad bought an alliance for my sister and they were so happy as the guy was Dad's friend's son.
My sister didn't want to marry and that was the first and last time she denied our parents. They tried to force her , manipulate her and at last she agreed. I tried my best to stop the marriage but they tried to lock me in my room until her marriage. I ran away to my friends's house and the next thing i heard was about my sister's suicide, that too after a week.

My parents didn't even try to find me, to inform me about her, that time I came to know they're such heartless people. When I came back home, it wasn't home for me, i became a cage, i felt nothing but suffocation living there. Even after a month they bought the alliance of the same guy for me and I screamed, cried and begged them but this time they locked me in other room which has unfortunately no window.

So here i am.............planning to run away from my own wedding that too from the wedding venue.

Right now I'm in a room at the wedding venue, surrounded by my so called relatives who do nothing but comment on your life and looks.
As soon as they left, i got up and took out the bagpack from under the bed. And rechecked the stuff which Nia (my friend) packed. After checking everything i locked the room door and kept the heavy table for support so that no one comes in.

I went toward the window and .......thank God i don't have to jump down as I'm already on the ground floor. I quickly crossed the window, where Nia was trying to stop anyone from coming this side.

I turned and went towards the back gate where a cab was waiting for me. I sat inside it and texted Nia that I'm out. I told her to delete my chat and and recent call history with me and the cab driver, just for safety as know my parents would try to see though the cctv of wedding venue, how i ran away from my supposed marriage.