11: Revenge is the main course II

Awin groaned. Everyone was awaiting his judgement.
"To be honest, I find this case exhausting" he declared "it's all over the place and I just realized that I am getting tired of presiding over these cases, I'll have to delegate to my aide eventually"

Everyone gasped but no one was in more shock and despair than Qaya, anytime he acted contrary to her estimation, she felt blindsided and immediately scared of his intentions. But truly Awin was tired, there was the court of justice presided over by the religious head of Easteforde, the purit* but everyone kept bringing disputes to the King's court; the sacred court of order. It was so annoying, despite being the one to steer the course of Sir Milton's life, his hands were tied.

"It's nonsense, really" he mumbled

"I will now give my judgement, seeing that Sir Milton has a strong alibi and there's no concrete proof to show that he indeed killed Qaya Wright, he is found innocent of the charge of murder and the court of order will grant him a consolation price of 500 Fordes** to apologize for his wrongful conviction"

Everyone cheered but he waved his hand signalling that they keep quiet.
"The best way to get to this matter is to find the real culprit"

Suddenly someone stood up "Arrest Melinda Charmale"
And this one statement triggered a whole crowd. Immediately everyone safe for the nobles and court officials were clamouring for Melinda's arrest.

The king signalled that they keep quiet and they held their peace
"When have I ever acted contrary to what is right? I am your king and I will not make reckless decisions as everyone has seen Ms. Charmale seems the most probable culprit but we once thought that about Sir Milton. It will be incredibly foolish for us to make the same mistake again. So I will take my time and personally head the investigation"

The people seemed placated, Awin was grateful he was able to reason with them.
"The court is dismissed"

The people started seeping out, eager to share the event's occurrences with their friends who did not come.
Qaya sighed, she was relieved. All she wanted since after she awoke from her coma was to bring Harbinger down and then live a peaceful and uneventful life. She hadn't fully succeeded but she was close.

"You look relieved" Rachel noted

"It's almost done" Qaya replied in bliss.

Rachel gave her a light slap on the back of her shoulder "do not say that, your training is just starting"

"Of course I know that" Qaya laughed "wait how long is it? I mean my training"

Rachel shrugged and began packing her things.
"You don't know how long my training is"

"It's not that, the directorate of Legal studies holds an induction examination every year, if you pass it, you get inducted into the profession as a junior officer and then if a reknowned teacher vouches for you, you'll be registered for the Barrister-Esq exam"

"The thing is you can do it all in your pace, some people do all this in five years, some just three and others ten, it all depends on you"

"When is the induction exam? I might be able to prepare and write it"

"It's ten months from now. The reason why a single examination can induct you into the profession is because it covers everything you need to know on legal studies and it culminatively takes twenty hours to write. If you're a genius, you'll be able to prepare and pass the exams well but I emphasize that you take your time. I won't have my student resit an examination."
Qaya nodded.
Her eyes suddenly caught Rivan leaving panicking. Qaya was certain that he wanted to see Melinda and he heart grew heavy for him because she knew he was pursuing the impossible.