chapter four

Pansy regretted choosing Care of Magical Creatures as her final elective.

"Why did we think this was a good idea? I didn't have to choose this, I had Divination and Arithmancy. A third class isn't required, so why am I doing this to myself? And you aren't taking bloody Arithmancy. No one is taking bloody Arithmancy, why is it even a class if no one's taking it?" Pansy moaned, putting her head in her hands.

"Theo's taking Arithmancy." Cordelia responded.

"Yeah, you would know that. And you know I mean someone I can tolerate. Tell me Cory, if I am taking Arithmancy, and Nott is taking Arithmancy, WHY WOULDN'T YOU TAKE BLOODY ARITHMANCY!"

"I'm already taking Ancient Runes, and Divination, and Care of Magical Creatures, that's one more than is required. I'm not even sure you're allowed to take a fourth class, but even if you are, I'd never be able to fit it into my schedule."

"C'mon, now, get a move on!" Hagrid called as the class approached. "Got a real treat for yeh today! Great lesson comin' up! Everyone here? Right, follow me!"

They followed him as he led them all to the side of a small field.

Everyone gather 'round the fence here!" he called. "That's it- make sure yeh can see-now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books-"

"How?" Draco asked, clearly not too interested in the subject.

"Eh?" said Hagrid.

"How do we open our books?" He repeated, frustrated. He pulled out his copy of it.

"Hasn'-hasn' anyone bin able ter open their books?" said Hagrid.

Cordelia sighed. This was the one class she hadn't been able to study for at all. Clearly that wasn't a problem though, as everyone shook their heads to his question.

"Yeh've got ter stroke 'em," said Hagrid. "Look-" He snatched Hermione Granger's copy from her hand and pulled off the Spellotape holding it shut.. The book tried to bite him, but Hagrid ran his finger down its spine, and it fell open.

"Oh, how silly we've all been!" Draco sneered. "We should have stroked them! Why didn't we guess!"

Cordelia managed to hold in a laugh.

"I-I thought they were funny," Hagrid said to Granger.

"Oh, tremendously funny! Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!"
Cordelia did laugh this time, along with a few others.

"Shut up, Malfoy," Potter said quietly.

"Righ' then, so -so yeh've got yer books an'-an'-now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Yeah. So I'll go an' get 'em. Hang on..." He walked into the forest, out of view.

"God, this place is going to the dogs," Draco announced. "That oaf teaching classes, my father'll have a fit when I tell him-"

"Shut up, Malfoy," Potter repeated.

"Careful, Potter, there's a dementor behind you-"

Lavender Brown suddenly squealed, pointing to the other side of the field.

Cordelia watched in wonder as Hagrid brought a few medium-ugly feathered creatures near them.

"Gee up, there!" He yelled. She had no idea what that meant, but when everyone moved back she did too.

"Hippogriffs!" Hagrid yelled, waving a hand at them. "Beau'iful, aren' they?"

No, she immediately wanted to disagree. They were not beautiful. They weren't meant to be beautiful.