Chapter 3: Telltale signs

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

" And I do adore them so, my aunts are my whole world. We dance and we sing. And once we baked until the sun came up." Rose sighed and leaned closer to the king. They had stopped to sit under a large chestnut-tree. The shade provided by its branches was gladly welcomed, for it happened to be a scorching hot day. Rose gave the king a porcelain cup, filled with dandelion honey tea.

" There was this birthday where we made sugar cookies together. It was unusual, since it's not a custom in our house to celebrate such events. I once asked about it, but they didn't give a reason."  She mused. Aunt Fauna had almost seemed frightened by the idea.

" What about you, my lord? Do you spend much time with your family?" She asked while slicing an apple.

He pondered for a moment. The tea in his hand gleamed in the sun like liquid gold.

" I have no family left."

" Oh, forgive me. I was being insensitive." She sat her cup down.

On her left sat a basket filled with refreshments like apples, pears, and cheese. The girl had packed them the night before, happy that she could spend the day with the Horned King once more. Though reticent, his company was still much cherished by her.

" You must be awfully busy, so I do appreciate you sparing time for me."

Roses three aunts were traveling to Prumor. Every year, on the first week of June they would be gone for a day or two selling their fresh strawberry jam at the market. That is the only time they would allow her to be home alone. Flora always made Briar promise to not leave the house or open any doors, and usually she would obey. Now, however, she wouldn't miss the chance to spend more time with the king.

Once they finished, she packed up and turned. Her delicate hand took a hold of the kings.

" Will I see you tomorrow?" He tightened his hold on it.

" Of course."

...

Outside of the forest, surrounded by glistening lakes and green hills, stood the unusually silent kingdom of Prumor. The towering stone walls that protected the village were covered in dark vines and the wooden gates to the kingdom were closed. There hadn't been real joy for seventeen long years. Now, three cloaked figures walked through the houses and over bridges. They entered from the side of the castle and walked to the throne room.

" Their most honoured excellencies, the good fairies mistress Flora and mistress Fauna!" Called out the announcer as the two women walked along a red and yellow carpet, in front of the king, and bowed.

" Ah, good to see you. All has been well, I hope?" King Stefan asked. His long woollen tunic almost reached the floor when he stood up. The king was tall and slender, on his head a golden crown passed to him from his father a long time ago. His appearance demanded respect, but you could see from his eyes that he was wise and kind. A ruler who was respected and trusted. On his finger shined a golden wedding band embedded with a red ruby.

Bring Me Joy:  Aurora x The Horned Kingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें