16

Alena felt her cheeks burn with a deep flush. Her triumphant expression completely shattered.

"That's not what I –" she began, biting her lip to stop herself. How could this man also be so skilled with words? Was there really nothing he's good at? No! She needed a clever retort, something to turn the tables back in her favor!

Refusing to accept defeat, Alena forced herself to think but before she could gather her thoughts and craft an amazing comeback, the sound of the door opening halted her train of though.

The door of the study opened and the duke finally shifted his gaze towards whoever it was that entered.

"Milord," the new comer greeted and Alena instantly froze upon recognizing the owner of that voice! General Elkhart?!

Despite the fact that General Elkhart was being dubbed as one of Duke Donovian's dog, he was still one of the few men in Etheriz that Alena truly respect and even admire.

Her respect was born from her personal experiences and observations of the man himself. In her interactions with the general, she had found a person of true honor and dignity, a sharp contrast to the often duplicitous nature of high society.

Elkhart's gentle demeanor towards children, his courteous treatment of women, and even his compassion towards animals had struck a chord with Alena. In the world of high society, where duplicity and pretense were common among the nobility, Elkhart's authenticity stood out. Initially, Alena harbored doubts, suspecting his noble behavior might be a façade like so many others in the upper echelons of society. However, over time, she had come to realize that his character was genuine, his gentlemanly conduct was not an act but a true reflection of his personality.

Moreover, Alena had noted that Elkhart's kindness extended even towards her, despite her family's adversarial relationship with the Duke. He had always treated her with respect, dignity, and kindness, both in her presence and, as she had come to learn, in her absence as well. To General Elkhart, she was not just another political figure or a pawn in the game of power; she was a person worthy of respect and decency.

This made her current predicament all the more mortifying. General Elkhart, who saw her almost as a saint, witnessing her in such a compromising position under the duke's desk was unimaginable. She was already dead! The last thing she wanted was for General Elkhart's final memory of her to be marred by such an undignified scene!

Desperate to escape, she tried to pull her hand from the duke's grip. But the infuriating Duke didn't let go.

In her struggle, she accidentally let out a soft noise, something between a grunt and a gasp. She immediately covered her mouth but she knew the general must have heard that!

Alena's heart thundered in her chest. She held her breath, fearing the worst.

"Did you hear something—" Elkhart began, his words trailing off as if he sensed an anomaly in the room.

But before he could complete his sentence, the Duke swiftly interjected, cutting him off mid-thought. "What is it?" he asked, his tone sharp and redirecting the General's attention.

After a brief pause, the general seemed to dismiss the incident and continued speaking. "This letter arrived just now, milord. It's marked with the royal seal and seems urgent."

Alena released her breath in utter relief.

"Open it, Elkhart."

There was another pause of silence after the duke's casual command before Alena heard the quiet sound of the letter being opened.

Soon, the duke was holding the letter with one hand.

Alena watched intently from her concealed position under the desk as the Duke's eyes moved methodically across the page, reading in silence.

Once the duke finished reading, Elkhart's voice cut through the silence: "I wonder what it is about this time."

"I'll discuss it with everyone tonight." The duke replied and just as Alena thought the general is finally leaving, he instead suddenly started a new topic.

"So how's the princess now? I mean, the duchess? Don't tell me she's still unable to leave her chambers." The general sounded genuinely concerned.

Alena didn't expect this shift of conversation, but she made sure to watch the duke's face intently as she thought that this might be what she was waiting for. That was if the duke would say anything at all, knowing that she was right there, listening to his every word.

But moments passed, and to her dismay, the Duke indeed remained silent, his eyes still lingering on top of his desk, maybe at the letter he had just read. She could also hear the soft, slow tapping of his fingers against the wood.

But the general was undeterred by the duke's lack of response and pressed on. "Seriously, my lord, did you really heed my advice? You didn't overdo it last night, right?"

When the duke still didn't say a word, Elkhart continued, his voice now laced with a mix of exasperation and disbelief. "I've warned you, didn't I? The princess is the most delicate woman in the entire land. You have to be so... extra gentle with her!"

At this, the Duke's tapping fingers paused. He looked down at Alena, met her gaze, and echoed Elkhart's words. "Delicate?"

Alena involuntarily flushed hard even though the duke's expression remained straight and there was no hint of mocking in his voice or gaze.

"Yes! And she's the epitome of grace and innocence."

Again, the Duke repeated what Elkhart said as he kept his gaze on Alena. "Epitome of grace and innocence... huh..."

"That's right! She's the kindest and purest-minded person I've ever met!"

"Purest... minded..." the Duke murmured, and Alena genuinely wished right then that the ground would just swallow her.

"And softest! She's really an angel." Elkhart's voice was filled with genuine respect and admiration. "She's really so gentle that I swear she could never, ever raise a hand to anyone."

The Duke, who was still not releasing her gaze, took a few moments of silence before saying one single word: "Indeed."