CHAPTER 07

Nafise already arranged for me to meet with Mehmet Giray in Cumalıkızık. I had to admit, I am fairly excited. I changed into a pretty blue silk dress and slippers, put on one of my best crowns, and did my hair nicely with a few blue flower pins in it. I also added some perfume in and around my body. I wanted to look (and smell) nice, especially since I was meeting with the Hanzade Mehmet Giray.

I think about this time Nafise was ready to go, so I went out to a secret spot in the gardens where a carriage was waiting for me to go the the barely used Hunters Cottage. 

"after you, Sultana." I climbed in and Nafise followed, and then we quickly sped off via carriage to Cumalıkızık. When we got to the Hunters Cottage, a little distance from the actual center of the village, a doorman lead me to the room where I would privately speak to Mehmet Giray. 

The doors opened, and I happily walked in until my eyes set on my mother, Haseki Ayşe Sultan, who was sitting in a chair in the center. She did not look happy.

"We indeed have much to discuss, Fidan." She quoted me. I was nervous. I knew my mother would not be happy. 

"How dare you send a letter to Mehmet Giray! Thank Allah I intercepted it- who knows what could have happened if it got in the wrong hands!"

"Valide, I gave it to my chamber maid who told me-" I stopped, and caught on. That very maid was one of my mothers. And instead of passing on the letter to Mehmet Giray, she gave it straight to my mother. "Did you send the reply letter?"

Valide nodded as I chuckled.

"You are always doing these kinds of things, interfering."

"I am doing everything for your safety, Fidan! I didn't think you would have an affair with Mehmet Giray, but this letter proves it." She waves my letter in the air. "This only solidifies my decision to marry you to Mustafa Pasha!"

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I was making the situation worse, as usual. I knew I was condemned to my fate, unless I acted against it.

"Only I can make my own choices, not you, Valide! I won't marry him!" I screamed, as my mother scoffed. I ran out, and struggled to inhale as I thought, what should I do?

I came to the carriage where an eager Nafise was waiting for me.

"How did it go, Sultana Fidan?"

"Oh Nafise terribly. It wasn't Mehmet Giray, it was my mother the whole time!" Nafise hugged me as I buried my head in her shoulder. It was nice having a friend like her. 

She helped me get up into the carriage and we got home very fast. Cumalıkızık was not that far from Topkapi, and even though my visit wasn't successful I made up my mind to visit there again another time.

_____________

Upon reaching Topkapi, I was surprised to find Gülbahar sitting and waiting for me in my room.

"Gülbahar, what are you doing here?" I asked, confused.

"Just waiting for you, sister. What were you doing?" She asked suspiciously. I shrugged.

"Just visiting the Hunter's Cottage in Cumalıkızık

"Just visiting the Hunter's Cottage in Cumalıkızık. The weather was nice there." I didn't lie, but I didn't tell her the whole truth. Not like she really needed to know anything about it. If Valide permitted it, I could've told her we were together there, but that could've raised suspicions.

"Oh that's nice, maybe we can go together sometimes!"

"Maybe we could" I agreed.

"Well, uh, goodbye I guess?" Gülbahar said as she left my rooms. 

As I watched the door close behind Gülbahar, a heavy sigh escaped my lips. The day had started with such promise and now felt like a crushing disappointment, especially after what happened with my mother. I sank onto the plush divan, the silk of my blue dress whispering against my skin, just as upset as I.

"Nafise," I called out softly. A moment later, the loyal handmaiden appeared in the doorway. "I need your help," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper.

Nafise, ever perceptive, saw the turmoil in my eyes. "Of course, Sultana. Whatever troubles you troubles me."

I decided to go ahead and recount the entire meeting at the Hunter's Cottage in Cumalıkızık, the betrayal by my own maid to my mother stinging afresh. Nafise listened intently, her face betraying a mixture of anger and concern.

"We need to be clever, Sultana," Nafise said once I finished. "Your mother will guard you closely now, making it difficult to contact Mehmet Giray directly. But perhaps we can find another way."

"How?" I asked, a flicker of hope igniting in my eyes and soul. Perhaps Nafise can find a way- she always manages to do so.

Nafise's lips curled into a sly smile. "We need someone who can move unseen, someone who wouldn't arouse suspicion." She paused, her gaze sweeping around the room before landing on a small gilded cage hanging near the window. Inside, a plump white dove cooed softly. It was a gift from my father a few months ago.

My eyes widened in understanding. "The royal aviary! The messages could be carried by the birds."

Nafise nodded. "Exactly. But we can't trust just any bird. We need one that can be trained, one that will only respond to you, and of course Mehmet Giray."

A plan began to form in my mind. It was risky, but it was our only hope. "I know just the bird," I said, a newfound determination filling my voice. "And I know exactly who can train it."

"I am at your command, Sultana. Who do I contact?"

"Send word to Cumali Agha, a man who works in the market. He runs a coffee stand, but I heard he also trains hawks and eagles, and therefore birds too."

Nafise Hatun bowed and made her way out as I clasped my hands together. I needed to get work with Mehmet Giray.