CHAPTER 08

Nafise's POV:

I walked into the busy street market in Istanbul under the guise of a regular maiden. Nobody here should know that I am the closest friend of Fidan Sultan, except for the people I am to visit. Cumali Agha, the bird trainer Fidan needed, and I needed to do it fast so we could contact Mehmet Giray.

Even though Cumali Agha ran the Royal Aviary, I was told he also spends time selling birds and small mammals in the market for extra money.

As I "strolled" through the market, I smelled many delicious spices and goods.

"Ahhh" I inhaled the smell of cinnamon. The shopkeeper noticed and trudged to me.

"5 aspers for 15 ounces, a very good deal, would you like it Hatun?" The man asked holding up a small bag.

"Might as well!" I replied, giving him the money as he gave me the bag. I gave the man a nod and continued further. A little ways ahead, I could hear a bird call sound, and I presumed it was Cumali Agha. When I approached the stand, there were a few cages and boxes with birds in them, and I watched admiringly at them till an older-looking man approached me.

"Are you Cumali Agha?"

"Yes, would you like anything?"

I lowered my voice to a whisper. "I am Nafise Hatun, one of princess Fidan Sultan's servants. I have been sent to obtain a bird that can carry messages for the Sultana."

"you are just in luck Hatun, I have many options."

"What would you recommend?"

"Personally, Pigeons. Now see, Pigeons can fly up to 60 miles per hour, and their homing ability allows them to fly to a destination in a cage, where they are attached with messages. The pigeon then naturally flies back to its home, where the recipient can read the message." Cumali Agha carefully explained to me. I listened intently, and made sure to remember every word to repeat to the Sultana later.

"Alright, and how would I be able to train it?"

"Well one step at a time. First, I'd preferably like for Sultana Fidan and whomever she will send the messages to meet with me so we can adapt the bird to them and from there move forward. It isn't as easy as it looks, but I'm sure that with the right training, in a matter of days the bird will be able to act as a messenger and carrier for the Sultana's needs."

"Alright. Can you come to the Palace tomorrow?"

"I would need an official summons from the Sultana."

"Okay, I will get the Sultana to do that. Thank you!" I waved to Cumali Agha as I stepped away from his stand into the bustling market. I was about to turn back to the carriage when I spotted a palace worker, one who was loyal to Neylan Sultan. Oh no, if he spots me I may get in trouble.

I quickly hid behind another shop as the man passed by, seemingly not noticing me. I exhaled a sigh of relief as I came back out and went to the carriage I came in from.

Later

I took a stroll in the gardens before going to Fidan Sultan. I breathed in the fresh air and gazed at the beautiful and well kept flowers and plants we have. It was truly an honor to serve in the Topkapi Palace.

I went for another 10 minutes before I knew it was time to talk with my Sultana

I went for another 10 minutes before I knew it was time to talk with my Sultana. I quickly went to the palace.

"Sultana Fidan!" I called as I gently rapped on Fidan Sultan's doors. They were promptly opened for me (perks of being close to the Sultana) as I came in and bowed.

"So Nafise, how did it go?" Fidan Sultan asked curiously. I filled her in on the details.

"Well Cumali Agha suggested training birds known as 'carrier pigeons' to do the job. They can apparently fly up to 60 miles per hour -insane- and their homing ability allows them to fly to a destination in a cage, where they are attached with messages. The pigeon then naturally flies back to its home, where the recipient can read the message."

"Continuing on, Cumali Agha said it would be preferable to meet with you and 'whomever the messages are for' -Mehmet Giray- to help train the bird for you guys." I took a deep breath and waited a moment for Fidan Sultan to take it all in.

"Very good Nafise, thank you." Fidan Sultan smiled as she tapped her chin. "But we would still need to find a way to coordinate with Mehmet Giray to do it. Any ideas where to find him?"

"Hmm... Gülbahar Sultan? Even in the harem, I periodically hear her talking about the Giray brothers... A bit suspicious but still a lead."

"But she might tell someone, like my Valide. A good lead, I'll have to question her, but we need another way. Do you think you could investigate?"

"Yes of course my Sultana, and if it doesn't help then I'll just indirectly ask your Sultana sister."

"Perfect!" Fidan exclaimed. I bowed as I left her rooms. This wasn't easy, and again, if anyone found out I would be in trouble and perhaps even Fidan Sultan.

I went to the harem and decided to relax a bit until I saw Kumru Kalfa come over and call out, "Marie Hatun!"

I knew immediately it was the girl who disrespected Sultana Fidan and threatened to take the place of Haseki Ayşe Sultan, which was a rude comment, one that if heard by the sultana would resolve only through Marie's execution. Thankfully that didn't happen and the Haseki was still Sultan Ahmed's favorite. She wasn't old like Marie called her- only about 38 or 39- just proving that the delusional Hatun didn't know anything.

"Marie Hatun, I want you to get ready," Kumru Kalfa declared, "You are going to Sultan Ahmed tonight."

My ears perked up when I heard this. Did Kumru really say Marie was going to the Sultan? The Sultan's famous monogamous relationship with Fidan's mother could not be disrupted, I told myself.

"See girls, what did I tell you?" Marie smirked as she flipped her hair over her shoulder. "I'll be a queen in no time, and I'll live up there!"

She pointed up to the balcony and chambers of the Valide Sultan, and in this case the rooms of Haseki Ayşe Sultan. I was shocked at her arrogance and sped off as fast as I could to Sultana Fidan's rooms.

"Sultana Fidan! Urgent news, you must hear!" I quickly bowed. Fidan brows furrowed as she listened.

"Marie Hatun, that disrespectful brat, was called to go to the Sultan's rooms tonight!"

The Sultana didn't respond, so I continued.

"She said that she will become a queen, and she will live in the Valide's rooms." Okay, she didn't exactly say the last part, but she implied it through her index finger. "So will you tell Haseki Ayşe Sultana?"

After a long beat, Fidan rolled her eyes.

"Even though I hate Marie, this is my mother's problem, not mine, but if you wish tell her chambermaids what happened in the morning."

I sensed a newfound independence in Fidan, her sheer will to not let others control her. I knew at once that Fidan Sultan would keep going, pushing till she gets what she wants.

End of Nafise's POV