Chapter 1

The ice was slippery and cold. All of the sudden, we start spinning out. Next thing I know, we go over the side of the railing. Sharp pain shoots through me as we roll down the mountain. Until, we finally stop. I have blood all over me and I am barely conscious, I can't move my leg or my arm. I think they're broken. "Ash? Dad? Are you there?" I say. "Please, please, talk to me, tell me your okay." Still no response. I now realize I need to be the hero here. I look around and look for the window. lucky for me it is already shattered. I unbuckle my seatbelt with a little trouble because there is a car part on it and drop on the floor on glass- ouch! I crawl out or the side of my good arm and look at my surroundings. We are in snow in the middle of nowhere. I limp over to the other side of the car and break the glass of my dad's window. I reach in his pocket for his phone. I try and call 911 but I have no cell service. Great. Instead I decide to pull out Ashton and my dad myself. I do the same thing I did to myself and carefully drag them out. They both lay cold on the snow. Now that CERT class my mom made me take will come in handy. I feel Ashton's pulse first, thank God. There is one. Next I feel my dad's pulse, where is his pulse! Tears start to form in my eyes as I don't feel one. I start to cry as I yell "Noo!! Daddy!! No!! Please! Dad! Please, daddy." I am having a huge melt down on my dad's chest. I finally get up after about 10 minutes and double check Ashton's pulse. Luckily I know CPR. I start to perform it as I think that I won't ver be able to speak to my father again. We won't be able to have bowling nights every Friday or go on our annual fishing trip anymore. All of that is gone. Forever. Finally Ashton wakes up and I'm still in deep pain. "Ava?" He says in a soft voice. "I'm here, in here. I know your probably in pain but we need to get help. Dad is, um." "No. No no no no no!" Tears start to form in his eyes to as I help him stand up. Then we hug. "Come on." I say. We get our blankets and food and put it in our back packs. We each grab one side of my dad and try to lift him up. And together we explore for help leaving our damaged car behind.

I wake up with a sudden fright. That was the worst memory I've ever had. The memory of my dad's death. I was only 11 at the time so it was even scarier.

The clock reads 6:30 am but I lay in bed since I don't have to be up until 7. I think about what I have going on this week to get my mind off of that memory.

Ok, today it is going to rain, Thursday to, and friday, PROM! Oh no I don't have a dress I don't have a date, I don't have anything! Okay, okay, Ava calm down. I'll just ask Allie what I should wear. Wait, no, she is in the hospital because she got hit by a car. And I need to go see her. Alright, here's the plan. Today I will scout out some guys even though it's guys ask girls and then after school I'll go get my dress with, Adam maybe? I don't know then tomorrow I'll have to figure out how I'll do my makeup and stuff and then go see Allison.

I look at the clock and it says 7:02. I get up and walk to the bathroom and go pee. Then I look at myself in the mirror as I wash my hands. I have light brown hair and blue eyes, I have a small frame. I look down to grab my toothbrush and brush my teeth.

I walk back to the room I share with my brother and wake him up. "Come on, get up!" He gets up with no hesitation and walks to the bathroom. I make my black and white covers. I have grey walls and black furniture. I share a small room so we both have twin bunk beds. We sleep on the top and have desks where the bottom bunk should be.

I walk to my closet and find something to wear. I grab a black sweater and a white tank top to go under and then I grab some Purple pants. I walk over to our storage containers on the other side of the room and grab a purple beanie. I close the door and tell Ash to stay out while I change. I quickly take off my pajamas and put my pants on. I still just have a sports bra on.

Suddenly the door opens from my mom. "Ughh!! Mom! Don't you ever knock!" "Sorry, I just wanted to say good morning." She already has her uniform on. She closes the door and I finish getting dressed. I finish in perfect time because then Ash comes in.

I go to the bathroom and take off my beanie and put my hair in a side braid to the left. Then I put it back on. I put on very little makeup and I'm done. I go out to the kitchen and make an egg sandwich for me and my brother. I quickly eat as 7:45 approaches. After I'm done, I say bye to my mom and tell my brother to come on. He has on a red flannel and some dark jeans. He also has a beanie.

We grab our backpacks and lunch and gab our skateboards. We walk down the stairs of our building until we reach the street. Then we are on our way in the rain.