A Perilous Journey

(PrinceZam POV)

I stood at the balcony, overseeing almost everything in the kingdom. Wind brushes past my face, leaving windswept marks. I sigh and look ahead. Vulkrat is a small, but rich community on account of the volcano. The territory isn't marked down in many maps. Most people probably don't even know we exist. Fallshire claims that they own this land. I wish I could bring glory and pride to the small area...

Maybe...just maybe... if I was a legend, then the kingdom would get recognition. I am the very face of the kingdom after all. I still can't believe that my father would leave me with such a broken domain. He took his life due to stress. I shudder with the thought: will that happen to me?

Forget about that. How will I become famous? Book writing? Influence? Jewels? Monster slaying? I am skilled with the sword, but most great creatures are long gone from the modern era. Deciding to do some research, I turn away from the balcony. My boots clack on the blackstone floors while I travel through the castle. Years of history are painted on the walls. Portraits of important rulers, soldiers, and sometimes even peasants, are hung up high.

I reach the end of the hallway where great hickory doors stand. Both my hands press onto the wood and push it open. The smell of old dusty books lingers in the air. Great shelves line the walls, littered with knowledge. My eyes scan the various titles. I drag my hand along the book covers. A thin layer of gray dust coats my fingers. I really need to fund more projects on preserving the history here. My sight continues to traverse the words. 

"Monster... great creatures of the unknown... void beings." I mutter aloud.

Void beings? I stop at a shelf and peer down at the book. The great crimson cover stands out amongst the rest. It's old, very old, perhaps even ancient! I carefully take the book off the shelf and pry it open. I read:

Void creatures 101 for monster slayers. If you're looking for a challenge, then this guide will introduce you to the great beasts. Lurkers are tentacled monstrosities, rumored to be covered in a thin poisonous layer. Their whip-like limbs can inflict serious damage. Weaknesses include: they have one eye, this means that they have lots of blind spots. Their poisonous layer can sometimes rub off on something, it will give you a few seconds to attack.

Always aim for the eye! This orb of sight is the only thing allowing them to have coordinated attacks. If you have a bow or crossbow, then shoot!

These creatures can be found in the Dark Gate. A great crater in the ground that's said to reach bedrock and beyond. It's bordered between both Fallshire and Rysara, neither kingdom wants the territory.

I finish reading the chapter on Lurkers. It was short, but informative. I shut the book and place it back on the shelf. I guess I now know what I shall do.

"You're leaving, aren't you?" Someone asks behind me.

I spoke around, clearly startled at the fact someone else was here. I spot Pangi with a worried look.

"Pangi... I-" My voice stutters. I'm at a loss for words.

The pangolin man sighs and shifts uncomfortably. "Zam, I know that once your mind is set, there is no changing it. Although I must ask, did you plan on telling me before you'd leave?" There is a hint of sadness in his tone.

"...I... I wasn't.... I'm sorry." I reply shamefully. 

I walk closer to Pangi and put both hands on his waist. He lets me pull him closer. Our foreheads press together while we gaze deeply into each other's eyes. 

"I'll only be gone for a max of three months, deal?" I whisper to him.

The pangolin nods his head and leans in for a kiss. His lips meet mine and we share a passionate kiss. Suddenly he pulls away. 

"What if someone caught us?" Pangi worriedly asks.

I pause contemplating his question. "It doesn't matter because they won't. And even if they do, I won't let them do anything." I promise him.

Pangi presses into my chest for a moment and then pulls apart. "I suppose you have to get going then..." He reminds me. 

"I'll be back soon, love." I tell him, savoring the moment. 

With that, we both turn away from each other. I face the doorway and exit. I know Pangi didn't look at me while I left. He's crying, I realized. Traveling to my room, I look around the castle. I really hope I didn't promise something I can't deliver. This mission could kill me... I enter the bedroom and breathe in. It's a scent I took for granted. I might be homesick by the first week. Swiftly, I scoop up a large bag and begin stuffing it with clothes, money, and weapons. I also strap a hooded cloak onto my back. That way I look like an adventurer. Grabbing some blades, I sheathe them in my belt. I'm ready for this! 

(Time Skip)

Beyond the border, I'm immediately struck with a sense of loneliness. Out in the wilderness, I truly notice how large the world seems. Monsters, fae, unruly folks, those are just a few of the perils I might face. Using a compass, I point myself East. To the edge of Fallshire I shall go. Tonight's temperature has really had an effect on my view of the outside. What the hell was I thinking? Remembering my goal, I'm filled with determination again. 

A quick shuffle of the nearby grass makes me alert. I freeze, being cautious. Should I investigate or travel away? Safety advised; I slowly step away from the noise. All of a sudden, a flash of black passes my eyes, and something strikes me. I fall to the cold ground, head throbbing. I squeeze my eyes shut to avoid the pain, but it continues.

Pangi... I'm sorry...

Then everything goes black.

(Urmom <3. -Author.)