When Things Were Normal

A kid, no older than 15, ran down the street evading his pursuers. His long and messy red hair flew behind him and into his face when he looked back.

“You’ll pay for this!” The leader of the group, the same age as the boy, yelled.

The boy turned down an alleyway and jumped a fence at the end of it.

He heard the other boy curse, “We lost him.” and the boy crawled away. He was on another street and ran into a man, suited up with a hat on.

The man’s a spy, the boy thought.

“Your clothes…,” the man said.

The boy looked at the large dust spot he left on the man’s suit with fear, “I’m sorry sir, I should have looked where I was going.” The boy bowed an apology.

“This is just a small spot, what have you been up to to get your uniform that filthy? You go to East Prep, am I correct?” The man asked.

“Yes sir I go to East, but no I can’t tell you what happened sir,” the boy made eye contact with his timid but a hint of confidence in his eyes.

“Why not?” The man’s look intensified.

Spy, spy, he’s totally a spy

The boy decided to take off running, he had to be on a mission of some sort, so chasing after a lousy prep student like him couldn’t be worth anyone’s time.

He ran to his home a couple blocks down and slammed the door behind him, “I’m dropping out.”

“Why do you deserve this scholarship?”

It was scholarship interview day. An official from the state came down to listen and choose winners.

“I think I’m a smart and dedicated student…” one said.

“My grades are higher than 98% of students….” another said.

“I’m a hard worker and I’m super organized…”

Many responses along those lines and the interviewer sighed as the last one walked out. The principal was standing next to him the whole time hoping for approval.

“Do any of them interest you?” the principal asked.

The man sighed and wiped his glasses, “Telling me you are smart and a hard worker makes you more hollow and less human, so I can’t work with that.”

“Surely there might be one for reevaluation?”

“May I inspect your gym classes?”

“Yes, but I don’t recall this scholarship being athletic.”

“It takes more than grades to lead a successful life,” The interviewer got up and walked to the gym despite never being at the school before.

He had run into a student and the student fell on the ground. It was the boy with the red hair. The boy looked up and looked shocked, “S-sir!”

The interviewer had been the man from a few days before, “Ah,” he said, “I apologize for always running into you. It seems I have a hard time seeing you. May I ask your name?”

“My name is Aaron,” he said awkwardly.

“Aaron,” the man said, “It is nice to meet you. My name is Ted McCharleson and I work for the State Scholarship Association. Have you thought about what you want to do after high school?”

Aaron looked him in the eyes with the same look he did the day prior, “No.”

He’s gotta be here from some intelligence agency. He’s here to recruit future spies for our country. If I just follow the baselines of a conversation, maybe I won't be put on a watch list.