✎ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨: 𝐝𝐚𝐩𝐡𝐧𝐞

"ms. barlowe, i'm sorry, but there is nothing i can do. i cannot allow you to take a fourth year potions course."

avalon's jaw clenched as she sat across from professor mcgonagall at her desk. taking a deep breath and trying to hide her thinning patience, she protested.

"professor, since i've been here i've been at the top of the class."

"and i acknowledge that, rest assured," professor mcgonagall calmly stated, "but, the third year potions class contains crucial information to excel in the following classes."

avalon's patience was hanging on by a thread. every time she came back home for break, her mother always asked when she would find a cure for her sister. even though she always said that it would most likely be after she graduated from hogwarts, she still kept pressing. it didn't help that her sister always claimed that avalon was just goofing around while she was away. the time away from home made it harder to bite her tongue when she returned.

the girl picked at her nail beds to keep her from raising her voice. "i need to graduate early. i've proven that i'm capable."

the professor across from her sighed and pushed up her glasses. "i know you are eager to help your sister, ms. barlowe, but it isn't beneficial to rush your education, especially since you've just been made aware of magic less than two years ago."

"you know i get better grades than the people who actually grew up with wizard parents," avalon retorted, irritation apparent in her voice.

"believe me, i'm aware," professor mcgonagall chuckled. "you said the same thing when you tried to skip third year potions."

a glare made its way across avalon's face. "everyone here promised that i'd be able to help my sister if i come here."

"and you will be-"

"so how can i do that when i'm not even allowed to use magic outside of school?" avalon snapped, "why am i wasting my time being taught how to make polyjuice potion instead of healing potions? why am i being taught disarming spells instead of healing spells?"

professor mcgonagall's eyes narrowed for a bit before softening. sensing her desperation, she took the girl's hand. "avalon, i can't even imagine the pain your sister's accident has caused you. i know you are eager to help her. but, you cannot rush these kinds of things. if you overlook important information, magic can be dangerous, even deadly."

avalon's shoulders sank, defeated. professor mcgonagall squeezed her hand as she continued "i know that's not what you want to hear, but i am not your enemy, ms. barlowe. i want you to heal your sister. i just want you to do it right"

after a moment, avalon simply nodded and walked out of the professor's office. after her meeting with professor mcgonagall, the girl felt much too restless. walking to her defense against the dark arts class, she knew deep down that performing sub-par magic on someone was a stupid idea. however, it didn't make going home to her family with nothing any easier.

the girl sat down in her seat towards the back of the room, trying to distract herself by wondering about today's DADA class. the school had gotten a new professor, lupin, she recalled. though she previously wasn't fond of DADA, as her first year professor had voldemort living on the back of his skull and her third year professor used the class to read his autobiography. this teacher, however seemed promising, as avalon found herself engaged in his lessons.

"is this seat taken?"

the girl looked up towards the voice. a blonde girl stood beside her, smiling warmly at her. avalon recognized her as being in slytherin, as she saw her at the slytherin table a few times.