Chapter 1

Author's Note

Hey anyone who's reading, if you check my profile you'll see that the majority of my stories are fanfictions mostly because I thought no one would read the books if they weren't fanfictions because if you're not Wattpad for fanfics, what are you on Wattpad for 🤨? Anyway, I've decided I'm going to stop changing everything into fanfictions and just post whatever I write and whoever wants to read it will read it. That being said, this is the first story in a while that I'm posting that has OCs so be nice please 🙏🏾. Enjoy the story!

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

It was my first day of elementary school. I remember feeling scared, I didn't know what to expect. I spent the day alone accompanied by my favorite book ever at the time, green eggs and ham.

I would always overhear teachers in kindergarten telling my mom that my comprehension skills were advanced but I didn't know what comprehension or advanced meant at the time and neither did I care. At the time my only worries at the time were why Sam preferred green eggs and ham over regular eggs and ham.

Even though I'd read that book about 12 times since I'd first discovered it, it never got boring for me so when recess came on that day, I picked up my strawberry kiwi capri sun along with my book and headed to the field where everyone else was. I didn't care that no one else was reading, nor did I care what the rest of the kids would think of my choice of activity. I just read, I got consumed into the world of Sam and his green eggs and ham. So I began to whisper the words of Dr Suess to myself.

'I am Sam

Sam, I am

That sam I am!

That Sam I am!

I do not like that Sam I am-'

"Hey! Who are you talking to"

I looked up from my book to find another girl staring down at me. Her bangs lay right on top of her curious, dark doe eyes and her pale skin glowed as I squinted, the sun shone from behind her.

"No one," I said timidly

I hadn't seen her in my class so I figured we couldn't have been in the same grade.

"Then what are you doing?" she asked. Her mouth formed into a pout.

"Reading" I replied blatantly

"Why?"

"Because I like it"

"I hate reading," She said as she down next to me

"Why?"

"It makes my head hurt" she confessed, pointing to her head to emphasize her point

"Maybe you're not reading the right books," I said pouting, taking a sip of my juice

"Whatever" she frowned

I looked back at my book.

"My name is Sierra," she spoke again randomly

"My name is Zora."

"Zora, do you wanna come play kickball with me and my other friends?"

"Okay"

And so every day after that, I'd start out my recess with either green eggs and ham or a new Dr. Seuss book, and halfway through, Sierra would interrupt me with whatever we thought was striking conversation in our 6 and 7-year-old minds before she recruited me for kickball.

3 weeks go by and it's Sierra's birthday. It was on a Monday which she described as "poopy".

Again recess went as it normally did but this time it took a little longer for my friend to show up. She did though. She always did.

"Hi, Zora!" she sang happily as she made her way next to me

"HI Sierra, happy birthday!"

"Thank you! I got a bunch of snacks from everyone and Ms. Dhya said I didn't have to do my reading test today if I didn't want to"

I laughed "Did you?"

"I didn't"

We laughed

"I brought you a present"

"What is it"

In between the pages of Cat in the Hat, I pulled out the 'book' I made for Sierra. It was 3 notebook pages cut in half horizontally, stapled together. "I know you said you don't like to read but I wrote you a story..."

"Really? I'll read it just because you wrote it"

"Promise?"

"Yes I promise I'll read anything you ever write"

I laugh "What if it's really hard to read?"

"Then we can read it together"

Sierra didn't keep her promise.