Till Death

The palace was thrumming with servants hustling about in preparation for my coming-of-age ceremony. Wreathes of flowers danced along the walls of the palace halls and the smell of savory dishes filled the air. The strumming of acoustic instruments could be heard coming from the great hall as Lah- ee ushered me down the grand hallway.

We passed by the numerous gold arches that flanked the west wall which was open to the central gardens. An altar had been erected in the center and splaying out from it were rows of chairs. I would soon find myself at that altar, kneeling as they poured blood onto my head. Sanctifying my body and it's womanhood. It was a special day when a girl became a woman. Became the source of life. For without woman there'd be no man.

I briefly closed my eyes while Lah- ee gripped my arm and continued to lead us toward the great hall. Yakoto lips were still fresh in my memory. I knew he had loved me for a long time and I always wondered when he would find the courage to tell me. I guess if he had to choose a day, today would be the day, seeing how we would never see each other again. It ate at me to think how relieved I felt knowing I would not see his face again. I know I shouldn't feel that way because he truly is my closest friend- my only friend, but I do not love him the same way he loves me. Of course, I didn't tell him that after we kissed for a long while, just holding one another on my bed. I wanted him to savor the moment and leave with no regrets. It was just as hard for me to say goodbye. I gave him a significant chunk of my life, my secrets, my dreams, my desires and truths. He held a part of me in his heart as I held a part of him in mine, but I couldn't help but feel he had a larger piece of me then I did of him. Had our friendship always been unequally yoked?

"Aye cannot believe ye went and ruined ya eyes like that. Tsk. Lah- ee works too hard and gets not-ing."

Lah-ee had come into my room just as Yakoto and I pulled away from each other. Her bad mood wasn't only due to me having smudged my makeup but the bright hot blush on both of our faces. Unfortunately, Yakoto got a brush to the head before escaping out the door never to be seen again. It was a bittersweet thought.

"Aye. Wipe that smirk off your face." She pushed me forward through the arched entryway of the great hall and I stumbled to my feet, immediately kneeling. My father sat atop his gold throne. It was a massive chair with twisted pillars and golden flames bursting from its sides. The seat itself was a deep, green velvet with gold trim. A staircase extended from the feet of it and I bowed towards them, my face an inch from the floor.

"Father."

"King Mansee." Lah- ee, joined beside me on the floor.

I briefly glanced up and saw the two massive guard's clad in gold and emerald armor standing at either side of him. Their helmets covered the top portion of their face, leaving only their mouth exposed. Neither of them smiled. Neither of them moved or made a sound. Their permanent silence made them seem unreal, like statues. All it took was a snap and they'd spear a man in a heartbeat.

My eyes flicked to my father and he gestured for us to rise. I stood holding my chin high as I faced the ever feared King Mansee Bayor of Miran.

His jet black hair had streaks of silver running through its straight locks. You couldn't distinguish where his silver laced black beard started as the two merged and fell down his chest. His face was rugged and its tan skin was aged and freckled, set in deep lines and hallowed cheeks. Those cool, grey eyes- my eyes, stared at me in quite assessment.

He wore a black robe adorned with a deep, green sash and fitted gold belt. The golden eye of Bayor rested between his thick brows.

"Come forward daughter." His voice was gruff, demanding.

I took a deep breath and walked the distance to the edge of the first step. Do not show your emotions. Hide your face. I exhaled out and relaxed my shoulders. I will not give him the satisfaction of seeing my despair.