Divine Intervention

Gwendolyn Morales Stacy, otherwise known as the Spider-Woman of Earth 65B, started her morning efficiently. The bed, which she always shared with her husband, did its best to ensnare her in its comfort. Of course, the soft mattress and warm blankets were no match for this determined and dutiful mother. Kissing her husband, who remained curled on his side while facing her, she hurried off into the shower.

Once cleaned, she made sure to get her eight-year-old twins out of bed so she could prepare them breakfast, which were eggs and baked beans with sausages on the side. Her kids, who were usually energetic on a Saturday morning, were strangely sluggish. She assumed that it was just morning blues.

After all, she too didn't get much sleep last night.

With her back turned to clear the dishes at their kitchen sink, Gwen did her best to bite back a smirk while her mind replayed the events of the night before. She remembered every detail, every touch, and every other sensation that made her all fuzzy inside, even now.

Right on queue, a familiar set of footsteps entered the living room.

"Morning, kids."

"Morning, dad." they responded lazily.

This earned them an eyebrow raise. "You two okay?" he asked concernedly.

"Yeah." Their body language said otherwise; both were hunched over their plates, dancing their utensils over their food without yet taking a bite.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." they insisted before finally scooping in their first mouthfuls, almost like they were both trying to distract themselves from something.

"Okay..."

Conceding, Miles Morales, known to many as the Spider-Man of Earth 1610, approached his blonde wife from behind to hook his arms around her waist and rest his stubbly chin on the crook of her neck.

"Want some help with that?" his whispery breath warmed her ear, causing the hairs all over her body to stand up, just like before. "Or would you rather I just watch?"

"Careful, honey..." she lowered her voice with a quick glance back, "... we don't want the kids to suspect anything. Besides, we both know I'm much better at this than you are."

"Oh, come on." Pecking her cheek, he released his hold, raising his hands in defeat, before joining their kids at the table.

Gwen could only smirk as she stared out of her window to the beautiful skyline of their Earth 8 New York City; from the way its pinkish-orange color scheme blended together, it was almost like this universe was specifically and immaculately designed for them.

Turning away, she too joined her family. Once everyone was seated, she couldn't help but notice the weird side-glares that were being shot her way from the youngest members. The more she wondered why, the more it worried her. This didn't go unnoticed by her husband either.

"Seriously, are you guys alright?" Miles asked a little firmer this time.

Their daughter, Charlotte, turned her head while chewing slowly. Her frowning eyes bounced between her mom and dad hastily.

"We're worried about you, dear." Gwen added, smiling kindly. "What's wrong?"

Swallowing, she answered, "I couldn't sleep."

"Why is that, dear?" Gwen leaned closer. "Did you have nightmares?"

She shook, still playing with her food.

"Did you stay up late again?" With a slight frown of her own, Gwen held her hips. "Please, tell me you didn't try to crawl up on the ceiling agai—"