Never Follow Where The Waves Take You

The figure was dark. Blending in with the shadows. Ocèane backed into a corner in fear, she dropped her sword somewhere, but that's the least of her worries. Her eyes darted around the room, desperately trying to find the perpetrator. Footsteps. They were soft, yet harsh, continuously coming closer. Her back harshly hit the rotting concrete wall, 'nononono', she thought as she blinked back her own tears and stared at the figure in the darkness.

The figure was moving, almost robotic-like...gripping a polearm tightly in their arm. If you could even call it an arm. Whatever it was...it wasn't human. Not at all. Their moves seemed...pre-programmed, like they were being controlled by something extraterrestrial. Océane's entire body was shaking, cuts and bruises of various sizes decorated her body like a twisted piece of artwork, "P-please...d-don't", she whispered into the darkness, "w-whoever you...a-are".

The texture of the lush green grass underneath her body, slowly lining her back and her feet. It tried to be calming..almost like a parent...yet she felt like a baby which couldn't stop crying. No matter how desperate the parent was becoming. The smell of the rotting surroundings only further pushed her into despair, causing the panic to slowly overgrow inside of her. The pit inside her stomach had now started to sprout.

The footsteps suddenly stopped.

The sound of silence...it was soothing. But not for long.

She looked up. Afraid of what she was going to see. Yet she saw nothing, hope began to grow inside of her as she heard the shouts of her younger brother: sounding desperate and worried, but she could still hear him.

"I-I'M HERE!! CASEN!!", she shouted back, her voice filled with a mix of panic and joy. Hope took over her as she tried to stand up. The light slowly starting to pour in from the cracks in the wall.

Bad move

She felt it. The recognisable feeling of something cold...something metal, gripping her arm. It squeezed it...tightly, and it wasn't letting go. The light, it was just the light of the moon: cold, dark, it conveyed hopelessness...and only hopelessness. Realisation hit her: she'd lost...she was always meant to lose. She felt herself relax in the person's grip, her shaking slowly stopping...her way to accept what was coming. There wasn't any way away, no escape...they caught her; this cat and mouse game has come to a close.

"..I'm...s-sorry-", a gentle whisper spoke into her ear. Their words were like a vase...broken by someone and glued back together: a stabbing feeling of fragility echoed through its words, feelings of true sorrow and regret. "I-I'm...so..so s-sorry", it repeated, with every word it spoke...she could feel the vase slowly falling apart all over again, fragility and fear spilling out like the water inside of the vase.

She imagined little Romaritime Flowers...or even Lumidouce Bells inside of the vase, slowly spilling out as the vase cracked and slowly shattered under them. Being violently washed away alongside the water, finding their new home on the rough stone floor.

Casen wasn't here; his voice was nowhere to be heard. The voice fell silent again, she could feel the regret spilling out from...whatever it was, 'the vase has finally shattered', she thought as another freezing, metallic arm gripped her shoulder blade. Ocèane gazed up at the moon through the cracks in the crumbling wall, it was wonderful...lighting up the sky so brightly. She couldn't bring herself to face the thing...she couldn't find the strength to fight back. She could only watch. 'I wonder if Casen is watching the moon right now...', she thought with a gentle smile at the thought, 'I hope he is...'.

High-pitched screams suddenly pierced through the concrete walls.

Tears flowed out of the little girl's eyes.