001. | run

not proof-read

empty.

an open world, an empty soul, an empty mind. It lacked everything warm, the lingering deafening silence spoke volumes—a loud distraction from the embracing pain.

hanako hayashida had no one except her only living kin- sora hayashida. they were alone in this vast world. when you have so little you find a new life in what you have.

hanako was barely nine, with no memory of love before, literally. the thought that she had amnesia was pounding loud in her ears.

basic knowledge stuck with her, things she had studied in elementary school, and she was determined to work hard for her younger brother—her entire world.

but right now, she wasn't sure how to feel.

"What is a little girl like you doing here?" a pro hero had found them, hanako was terrified, she had tried her best to hide sora behind the small of her back but it was obviously fruitless.

sora hadn't even turned four yet- albeit a few months away- but he knew. he knew and tried, for all he wanted to do was not be a burden to her, she was everything to him, just like he was to her.

"we were just wandering," hanako shot a nervous glance to sora, who bowed his head as if someone would snatch him away from her, "promise."

they were ready to run, something that was in their favor was these streets, months upon months of wandering do have their upsides.

"oh?" the pro jerked up his eyebrow, obviously skeptical, "all alone? where are your parents?"

"home," there was a certain confidence in her voice, one that only comes with experience, hanako had done this a lot—she knew how this game went.

"where's your home?" the pro had come closer now, sora huddled closer, his small milky hands forming a fist around the hem of hanako's dress.

"oh! It's just three squares down, we come here to play all the time!"

"you come to play in an alleyway?" there was apparent confusion on his face now, perhaps well-hidden concern as well, "you always come alone, little girl?"

"i'm not alone! and i'm old enough to take care of us!" she was faking the snobby nature of children now, but that usually helps let them off.

"of course, you're not alone," a glance at Sora, "but don't your guardians accompany you?"

hanako feigned puzzlement, tilting her head, "not always, today they were supposed to go grocery shopping..."

"you don't like going grocery shopping?"

"why would we?" her nose scrunched in distaste, "it's boring! look, mister, i don't know what you want but we don't have long before we gotta leave, the sun is almost setting!"

"ah!" a thoughtful expression crossed his face, "want me to drop you home?"

"nope! mumma says not to talk to strangers or go anywhere with them, we've already broken one rule!"

"i'm a pro..."

"anyone can pretend to be a pro." hanako deadpanned, huffing in annoyance.

that was true, pretending to be a pro can work, wear fancy clothes, and a provisional license can be faked to some extent, average civilians don't always know the difference, especially children.

"well, your mom taught you right!" the hero tried to smile as cheerfully as he could, "but you don't have to worry you'll be safe with me!-" "-we don't feel very safe," "-nevermind...I'll leave okay? But I'll be 'round here if you need my help"