002.| adults lie.

not proof-read

Orphanages are not always kind.

They kill you when you're already dead.

They dig at your throat and hold you in a chokehold.

So, when Hanako never wanted to step foot in there, she thought it was more or less reasonable enough.

they, of course, didn't listen. they said, "This arrangement is temporary for the time being, we'll get you someone to live with soon."

hard to trust adults lying to your face.

she-they couldn't do anything, they just had to suck it up and stay still. after all, it's never too late to bury bullets in the heads of children no one knows.

hanako.|✻

"And this is your room!" one of the staff members was showing us around, "do you like it?" she smiled... genuinely. it was weird. when you're a couple of kids on the street with clothes too tattered and stomaches too empty you get many smiles, genuine smiles are rare, but when we did get them there was always pity hiding somewhere right there.

I don't want pity. we don't need it.

her smile though. She truly was happy, for us. I suppose it made me a little happy.

"yeah!" sora exclaimed, my eyes widened, I snuck a glance at Sora, surprised, 'I can't believe he's speaking.'

Sora was incredibly smart, but shy. He wouldn't stand a chance in this world, because he could never speak up for himself or speak at all.

The only time i ever hear him speak now is around me.

It pains me to see him like this, my worries for him exceed my worries for myself. My eyes wander to the nurse, and I wonder, what was so special about her? Maybe her quirk?

Instead of pondering over this further, I hummed, after all, I'd agree with everything Sora says with my eyes closed, with no second thoughts.

I reached out to his hand, and gently guided him inside the surprisingly spacious room. A weak smile took over my face, something broken hiding behind it, "I'm glad you like it."

sleeping was hard.

every dream, every thought, every heartbeat, every breath sent me into a tumbling world of fall after fall.

I turned for the nth time, a gaze fell on the ticking clock, boldly announcing two past five in the morning.

"good morning," I mumbled groggily to myself. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and mustered up the courage to follow the wandering voices that may or may not have played a part in my lack of sleep.

I slipped out of the warm blanket, my feet touching the ice-cold ground. the hum of the pitter-patter of rain was a cloak of disguise for me. my small feet could only make so much noise, alas, I was thankful for the rain to wash away the sound.

"Shouldn't we return them?" a voice peeped up.

"Return them!? God! They're not clothes!" a second one exclaimed, baffled.

"I say-" someone new tried to speak -"No! you will not be saying anything! We will pretend nothing ever happened. These are just two unfortunate kids that don't know who their parents are."-but was soon shushed.

"Sure and how exactly are we supposed to explain that the pros will be coming to pick them up soon?"

"We'll tell them that they found a home." there was no welcome to another conversation in her voice, and judging by the footsteps closing in, I knew it was time to scurry.