Chapter One: Repentance

"Take it," Ingressus demanded, his hand nearly shredding his own skin while he tried to mask the agonizing pain and the excessive bleeding. He was getting weaker by the minute, and all Senn could do was stare. His hands shook and his breath trembled. Ingressus had given up. After Senn had given him a chance to flee, he surrendered. Countries had burned because of him, people were dead because of him, and his response was to reach his spear out, giving away his power. Confused and slightly anxious, Senn took a step back. "The only royal blood I have in my veins isn't from the Voltaris. I don't deserve to rule over our people." Days prior, Ingressus had revealed the clanless boy's true lineage. His father was Adonis Sendaris, the Prince of Sendaria, King Amphion's brother, Osivian, Galleous, and Thalleous' uncle. During the Voltaris massacre, a genocide of people led by Thalleous Sendaris which resulted in the death of 99.3% of the Voltaris population, Adonis fell in love with Xóchitl Voltaris, General of the Voltarian Army and Ingressus' second in command which resulted in Senn's birth. Considering Galleous was missing, Thalleous was presumed dead, Amphion, Adonis, and Xóchitl were murdered, and Osivian was in no condition to be King once more, Senn was behind Ria in the Royal line and needed to serve his Sendaris people.

"There needs to be an heir," Ingressus pleaded before coughing up blood. "You're the only thing they have left." one look into Ingressus' eyes made Senn's heart change instantly. Even though this man was a murderer, a maniac, and much more, behind those damn eyes was a child in desperation for solace. Senn sighed but kept his face stone. "No," he said. "They'll have you." Suddenly, Senn supported Ingressus and took him to the nearest standing building to try to heal his wounds. Even though he was a bit annoyed by Senn's stubbornness, Ingressus formed a smile. That boy had potential. And he knew it.

~~~~ Three Months Later~~~~

    Ingressus hadn't felt comfortable since he was born on Mt. Velgrin. Even though New Voltaría was lush and green with prettier sunsets and healthier winters, his crown felt like it was breaking his skull, and his wound from months earlier scraped against his newer clothes. He couldn't sit in one place without feeling like his entire body had been engulfed in flames and Senn didn't make it much better. Being a nineteen-year-old boy made him extremely chatty and whenever he came to visit Ingressus felt as if he could never leave. Thankfully, Senn was busy reforming alliances between human countries with Queen Ria so he finally had a sliver of silence. But on the contrary, the silence reminded him of every memory of the things he had done. No matter how many times Senn told him to not dwell on it, he couldn't help himself. What would his father think if he was alive today? Dominus Voltaris was the best King to rule the Voltaris, and now, his son was a genocidal demon with no wife, no children, and no future.

    In his culture, The God of Suffering, given the name Joaquín Voltaris, wouldn't kill men committing such sins but would submit them to such pain that they couldn't die. Ingressus wondered why he hadn't suffered that fate. Just then, when Ingressus was drowning in his thoughts he heard the door to his quarters swing open. "Ky'Ingressus!" he could recognize the voice anywhere. When he turned, Senn immediately froze in front of him. "Is this a bad time?" Ingressus sighed, squeezed the skin in between his eyebrows, and took a seat. Senn only sat down next to him when he saw him slightly shake his head no. "Can we talk?" Ingressus nodded. "Have you fallen in love before?" Ingressus stared at Senn. Gods, what was he getting himself into? "There wasn't much time for that growing up."
    "Do you know how to handle it?" Ingressus raised an eyebrow. "What's been going on?" Senn looked away. "Nothing. Just asking." Ingressus chuckled to himself. "Well, I'm not the one to ask." After rolling his eyes, Senn looked down at Ingressus' stomach. "Is it getting better?" he asked. "It's fine." Ingressus lied through his teeth. In reality, it still reminded him of his failure to live nevertheless felt like hell. "Have you seen Tygren since that day? Ria's been keen on finding him." Tygren was Ingressus' second-in-command after Xóchitl's death, but the war made him a different man. He was more corrupt than Ingressus could ever think himself to be. In Tygren's mind, no one deserved mercy. Years before, Tygren was drafted into the Voltarian army during the First Great War. But Ingressus was unsure which war changed him. "No," Ingressus said solemnly. "Was he a son to you?" Ingressus exhaled with a small smile on his face. "More of a younger brother. I never really wanted children." there was a wave of silence between them before Senn spoke up again. "I'm sure my brother has kept you company? Where is he anyway?"
"He'll be home for a little while. Don't miss him." After Senn left to go converse with Deltheus, his oldest biological brother, Ingressus strangely felt better about this visit. Instead of going off about The Knights of Ardonia, which is what he usually did, he asked countless questions about him. The regret, uncomfortability, and pain that he felt didn't go away but felt lighter. Things were finally looking up.