CHAPTER 1

GRACE

The streets are bustling.

I wonder what's the occasion?

Walking through the city, I see a crowd gathering around a new food truck. The line stretches down the block, filled with eager faces.

As I continue my stroll, I spot a group watching street dancers perform intricate moves. The joy in the air is infectious, and I feel a deep contentment in this peaceful moment.

No distractions... I'm finally free-

Suddenly, my phone rings. It's my mom.

Geez, what now?

I answer the call, curiosity piqued.

"Hello?" I ask, sensing urgency in her voice.

A brief silence follows, heightening my unease.

It's like I have to drop my peaceful moment after having a shitty day after work.

"Grace, we need to speak with you. It's urgent, and you must come here as soon as possible," my mom says, her tone trembling.

"Sure, what's the proble-" I begin, but my dad interrupts.

"We'll explain when you arrive. It's not easy to discuss over the phone," my dad says, worry evident in his voice.

"But-" They end the call abruptly, leaving me filled with concern.

I turn around, looking for a cab. Suddenly, I bump into someone, a chill running down my spine as I feel an intimidating presence. I look up.

Piercing eyes lock onto mine, seeming to read my soul.

"I-I'm sorry..." I stammer, trying to shake off the uneasy feeling.

Am I gonna die? I'm fucked.

He leans down, his intense stare making me feel small.

"Watch where you're going next time, woman," he snaps before walking away, his aura unsettling.

"What the heck was that?" I mutter.

I couldn't really see his face.

Mutters from bystanders follow as we part ways, and I continue walking, that chilling encounter lingering in my mind.

I finally find and hail a taxi, replaying the scenario in my head.

That man... Why is he so familiar? I wonder.

But the more I replay it, the more I can't help but think how... HANDSOME he was.

That face, cold yet captivating.

Why does he look like that? But that unsettling attitude...

As the cab moves, I glance out the window, letting the cityscape distract me as I head to my childhood home.

Finally, my journey ends as I see my parents' house.

A wave of nostalgia washes over me as I step out of the taxi.

However, my parents' serious faces greet me when I step inside the house.

"Grace, there's something we need to tell you," my mother begins. I can tell it's serious, and I have an inkling of what it might be... my MARRIAGE.

Let me give you a short recap of why I'm being married off to someone I don't even know.

My parents made a pact with a very rich and powerful family, the Collimores, known for their immense wealth around the world.