Chapter 13: The x Final x Phase

The week had gone by, and there weren't many people left for the Final Phase. There were now 11 applicants; Gon, Killua, Kurapika, Leorio, Cassandra, Pokkle, Bodoro, Gittarackur, Hisoka, Jayden, and Hanzo. On the airship, the eleven of them were transported to a hotel. They'd gotten plenty of rest and were ready for what was to come. Inside, the group stood before Netero. On their left were the other people who worked for the Hunter Exam. "This hotel is owned by the Hunter Exam Selection Committee. This place is all yours until the battles have concluded. For the Final Phase, we will be holding a one-on-one tournament," Netero explained.

He held what covered the board and removed it, revealing the board's contents. It was an uneven bracket. "Only the last standing person is allowed to pass?" Leorio asked.

"Nope. One win is all you need to pass. The winners are removed from the competition while the losers continue up the bracket. In other words, the person who finishes at the top will not pass. Does everyone understand now?" he asked.

The bald man, Hanzo, spoke up. "So you're saying that only one person will fail," he mumbled.

And that was exactly the thing. Cassandra exhaled softly and took out some chapstick from her tote bag, applying some. Netero then took the piece of paper that covered the bottom of the bracket, showing all of the applicants' faces. Gon and Hanzo had the most chances to win. Some of the applicants, mostly Jayden, complained that it wasn't fair. Netero explained that the bracket was based on their performances. Funny he mentioned; Jayden didn't have many chances. "Then how come I don't have many??" he complained.

Cassandra covered her mouth with her hand to hide a sneer. "Isn't it obvious? You didn't do anything flamboyant enough to catch their attention. You tried to weed me out and a few other guys, and thank God I took one out. But seriously. I think it's because you're nothing but a massive douchebag," she replied.

Jayden scowled and tried to hit her, but he was held back by some of the men in black suits. But then, she uncovered her mouth, looking at her feet. Now the fights would begin. A man in a black suit guided the applicants to the side of the room as Gon and Hanzo stood before each other, prepping for their battle. The man in the middle posed as the referee. Cassandra yawned and sat down, her fingers lightly drumming on the floor. Killua looked at her. "Ya bored?" he asked.

"Yeah."

Killua sat beside her and rested his head on her shoulder and watched lazily. "Get him, Gon!" Leorio called.

"Kick his ass!" Killua yelled.

The referee called for the fight to begin. Immediately, Gon ran to his right, but Hanzo caught up, knocking Gon to the ground. Cassandra's interest piqued as she sat up, eyes widened. Hanzo then took Gon and told him to wake up, practically cracking his back. Cassandra couldn't believe it; Hanzo was pressuring Gon to surrender. And every time he refused, he hit the poor boy. Leorio's fists clenched as Kurapika tried to not yell. Killua scoffed as the redhead's breath came out in light exhales. Gon lay on the floor, struggling to get up. Once he did, Hanzo punched him in the gut, bringing him back down. "Oh... God... Just stop..." Cassandra thought, taking her glasses off to cover her face.

"Gon! Don't be silly! You'll still have another chance!" Leorio exclaimed.

"Hey, Leorio! If you were in Gon's position, would you surrender?" Kurapika asked, not taking his eyes off of the fight.

His eyebrows were furrowed. "Hell no!" Leorio shouted.

The group winced as Hanzo kicked Gon across the room. He tumbled to the floor, wincing at his injuries. They kept watching the physical abuse as Cassandra curled up against a wall, muttering in a foreign language. This went far beyond a peculiar fight. The system that this Exam went under was crazy; at least that was how Menchi put it.