The Butcher

Danny woke from a restless sleep sandwiched between Lily and Delia, the first faint rays of dawn peeking through the curtains. He was careful not to disturb the serene scene as he slipped from the warmth of the bed. As he quietly exited the bedroom, a soft rustling came from the living room. Curiosity piqued, Danny peeked through a sliver of the slightly ajar door to see Jester up early, methodically cleaning and engaging in his morning exercises. Danny watched for a moment, admiring Jester's discipline and seemingly endless energy.

Without making a sound, Jester began to dress and sneak out of the house. Driven by a mix of curiosity and concern, Danny decided to follow.

He grabbed his jacket and trailed behind, keeping a safe distance.

As they traversed through Silverwood City, it became clear that Jester wasn’t familiar with its streets. He zigzagged through alleys and paused frequently, seemingly disoriented. Danny watched from the shadows, curious about the purpose of Jester's early morning adventure.

Jester stopped first at a small flower shop just as the owner was setting up for the day. He peered curiously at the array of colors and scents before moving on. Next, he paused at a newsstand, flipping through a newspaper but not buying it, his brow furrowed as if trying to make sense of the headlines.

Next, Jester visited a small public square, where he paused to watch a street artist setting up her canvas. He seemed captivated by the preparation process, observing intently before dropping a few coins into a hat by her feet and moving on with a wave.

After several more detours and wrong turns, Jester finally arrived at his destination: Mrs. Bakersfield’s bakery. The storefront looked worn and troubled, with a boarded-up window and signs of recent repair. Danny found a discreet spot behind a nearby dumpster to observe.

Mrs. Bakersfield was outside, assessing the repairs, her face etched with concern. When she noticed Jester, her expression turned wary.

“Can I help you?” she asked, her voice trembling as she recalled their last encounter.

Jester shuffled his feet, looking nervous. “Mrs. Bakersfield, I... I came to apologize,” he started, his voice barely above a whisper. “I’m really sorry for what happened—”

“Are you now?” Mrs. Bakersfield cut in sharply, her eyes narrowing.

“Yes, ma’am. I got caught up in the moment and was inconsiderate to your livelihood.” Jester’s voice trailed off as he pulled out a crumpled envelope from his pocket. “I’ve brought some money to help with the repairs. It’s from my job at the docks. It’s all I can offer right now.”

Mrs. Bakersfield took the envelope, weighing it in her hands before opening it and peeking inside. Her features softened slightly. “This is a start, I suppose. And what about my employee, Danny? He was fired because of the disruption you caused.”

Jester’s eyes widened, a look of regret washing over his face. “I know. I’m sorry. Is there anything I can do to help him?”

Mrs. Bakersfield sighed, tucking the envelope into her apron. “Help me finish cleaning up this mess. Then we can talk about what’s next. Maybe there’s a way you can make it up to him, too.”

Overcome with a mix of admiration and guilt for his suspicion, Danny turned to head home, his departure almost comically marked by a loud yelp as he accidentally stepped on a stray cat’s tail. The cat’s furious screams sliced through the morning calm.

Back at home, Danny found Lily preparing what little food they had left. Her welcoming smile faltered as she noticed the conflicted expression on Danny's face. He quickly relayed his morning's adventure and the unexpected revelation of Jester’s character.