Chapter 2

Written: 16.4.24 - 18.4.24

Hogwarts Express

My eyes scanned the compartment, realizing that I was in fact, with people I hoped never to interact with. Lorenzo on the other hand, grinning at my obvious discomfort.

"Oh hey guys, hope I wasn't barging in on anything... again" He said, laughing. The one that I knew to be Pansy, shot him a dirty look. I could only assume what he was referring to. "I hope you guys don't mind the Gryffindor that's stuck here now." he continued.

"Actually," I started, "I think I'm going to see myself out-" but just as I was about to open the door out, the same trolley lady that pushed us in here stood outside the door. 

Or not then.

I wasn't sure what to do. I was literally surrounded by several people that I didn't talk to ever, and honestly didn't have a great rep. All of them eyed me curiously, as if to wonder what I would do next. I looked at Lorenzo, who nodded his head as if to sit down. The closest and well, only seat was next to Pansy

She sent a look at me that looked like a look of disgust. Of course, I couldn't blame her. Slytherin and Gryffindor had seemed to have a rivalry for decades. I would do the same, if I wasn't in such an awkward position. I did my best to ignore her looks and simply look out the window, where I could see Isla and Luna talking. Oh, how I longed to be around them. 

I sat in the compartment silently, praying that none of them would talk to me, but of course, my wishes were not granted, as a voice interrupted my thoughts.

"So, you're the infamous Hannah Taylor that Lorenzo speaks of." said one of them, although in all honesty, I wasn't sure which it was that spoke. "How on earth do you put up with someone like him?"

"Merlin, Mattheo. You've heard their cutesy little meeting like a thousand times from Lorenzo. There's no need to terrorize her," said one of the girls, which I assumed could only be Daphne. I'd heard of her from her sister, Astoria, who was a Hufflepuff.

 She gave me a half smile, then continued. "Besides, I'm sure any of your crucial  questions could be answered by Enzo, anyway." Lorenzo laughed, but it didn't sound like a genuine laugh. Their conversations slowly moved away from me and onto matters I simply didn't relate to.

I looked down at my phone, hoping to text Luna or Isla, but to my dismay, I had forgotten that it died hours ago. I sighed, letting myself get lost in my thoughts as their conversations slowly shifted to things that I had no interest or knowledge of.

My thoughts did not provide much comfort, as they slowly directed to the boy that sat across from me. He spoke not much, despite being the groups' 'leader.'

Draco Malfoy

When I had first seen him during the sorting, he had been picking a fight with Ron, who simply did not seem to care. While everyone else seemed to laugh at it, I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I didn't find him particularly good looking, nor did I believe that his personality had potential, but there was simply something that made me unable to ignore him. I'd felt like I knew him, though I knew I'd never seen him before. 

Something about him was simply irresistible, making me want to take the risk of getting to know him. However, I knew my chances were gone when not only were we in rivaling houses, but we also shared no classes. After that, I simply seemed to forget about him. Or, I tried to. But when I was around Lorenzo, he simply managed to make me talk about him. He never really let me let go of it since then. He would force me to go watch his football practices and games with him, but I never stayed long enough for him to notice my presence. A Gryffindor, cheering on a Slytherin game? That was simply nonsense. 

One time, I simply didn't leave early enough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was during one of his practices of second year. I'd lost track of the time, being so invested in the game, that by the time that I realized I should've left, the teams were already walking off the field. I knew he'd be heading towards Lorenzo soon, so I bolted out of the stands, praying not to be seen. 

I'd thought that I was in the clear when I neared the courtyard, but as I walked towards the doorway, there Filch stood. Gryffindor wasn't supposed to be watching the Slytherins practice, and Filch knew that very well. I was still in my Gryffindor uniform, I could easily be caught. However, I simply didn't want that, so I snuck away, going for the side route.

I guess it was clear that day why I wasn't a Slytherin, as I completely tripped and fell, and Filch immediately turned in my direction.

Shit.

I heard footsteps approach me while I slowly turned around, as I furiously tried to think of an excuse for being out, but I was met with a face that was not Filch's. 

His hair was a silvery blond, mildly disheveled from his most recent game. His face had a scowl, so what he said next surprised me.

"What are you doing on the ground? Get up before you get caught!" he said with a hushed tone. I didn't waste a second of his kindness, and got up in a hurry. "Go that way. He's never there"

I looked at him with pure confusion, which allowed for Filch to catch up with us.

"What are you two doing back here?" He yelled. "I'll send you both to detention-" he said, but then cut off, realizing that Draco had been coming back from a game, making me the only one breaking rules.

"Hannah Taylor. What are you doing here?" he questioned, wanting to put someone in detention. "You know that Gryffindors aren't supposed to be out right now."

My mind was frantic as I tried to come up with an excuse, but nothing surfaced. I was ready to give in to punishment, but he stopped me.

"It was me."

Both Filch and I had looked over at him, surprised and wondering if he was going to continue.

"I invited her to come watch my practice. Lorenzo requested his presence, he didn't want to get bored," he said, voice completely smooth. "You wouldn't want my father to hear about this interaction, would you?" He challenged.

Filch was at a loss for words with that, and simply glared at us and mumbled something along the lines of getting back to dorms. I turned around to thank him, but by then, he was already walking away.