Chapter 1

Unedited

"Ha...." A long dragged out breath came from a woman sitting by the window, overlooking the greenery thriving under the sun's light.

A maid near her side gave a quick glance before pouring her another cup of tea.

"That's the seventh time you sighed, my lady," said the maid.

"Was it?" The woman turned her back from the window and collapsed dramatically to her chair.

"You can't blame me Estelle, when I've been trapped in this estate for God knows how long."

The woman puts an arm over her eyes, and a long dramatic sigh escapes her lips again.

"And he hasn't even come back for five days. I don't know what that brain of his is up to, but confining me here while he goes out to play is a little unfair, isn't it?"

The maid hands her the cup of tea, which the woman gracefully, closing her eyes to catch a whisp of it before drinking.

"I say that it is only fair after the stunt that my lady pulled."

"What stunt?"

"Has my lady already forgotten?" It was the maid's turn to sigh. "You convinced his grace into dressing in less layers because, as my lady said, who dresses so much when the party is by the beach?"

The woman almost choked on the tea she was drinking. "I told him that in passing, I wouldn't think he'd actually believe it."

The maid continued, "My lord came back all red and fuming by the ears saying that he had to face humiliation from his fellow nobles making fun of him."

"As punishment, he ordered the guards not to let you out for a month and limited you to only eating dinner."

The woman rolled her eyes remembering the reaction of her husband.

"Even I have forgotten all about it. It's significant, not even worth forbidding me on touching grass and starving me."

"Maybe he's the one more deserving of a break from touching grass? He's been gone out too much, I worry that he's began eating it like the cow he is."

"My lady." The maid's shoulders are tense as she looks at the closed door that connects to the hallway. "Careful with your words, someone could be eavesdropping."

The woman drinks the rest of the tea within seconds before setting the cup down and collapsing again on her sit.

"Can't even be at ease in the comfort of my own room without someone snitching, how pitiful."

Her gaze again goes back to the window, looking at nothing in particular at all.

The maid watches her in silence before giving up. She opened her mouth with hesitance, but still spoke. "If my lady is in need of a change.... then I will go prepare you your cloak."

Hearing that catches the attention of the lady. Her eyes widens in happiness already knowing what the maid is implying.

...

They snuck out in the afternoon, made a maid cover for them and left with cloaks on their backs, dresses in commoner clothes.

When they arrived in the village, it has been busier and crowded than usual.

Estelle, the maid, felt uneasy as she and her lady walk through the street, guard up from any potential danger.

"Oh come on Estelle, ease up, nothing is going to happen, we've been here so many times."

"How can you be so carefree my lady—"

The lady turns her body and puts her finger on the maid's lips, interrupting. "Shhh!"

"No 'my lady' outside of the estate. I'm just a peasant girl here in the streets."

"My—"

"If it eases you, I'll allow you to hold my hand."

The maid's eyes widen in shock. "My lady, how could I possibly—"

"Uh, uh. I'm Emily here, and just hold my hand."

Estelle looks at the hand offered by her lady, Emily. She hesitates before submitting, slowly utting her right hand over her lady's delicate hand.

The lady, Emily, smiles at Estelle before intertwining their hands, causing a shiver to go up Estelle's arm.

"My lady, I don't think—"

"Emily."

"... Emily." The name still felt unfamiliar coming from her own mouth. "I don't think it is necessary to be holding hands like this—

"Oh, but it is necessary. Haven't you thought what could happen? What if I get lost? What if we get separated? What if I get kidnapped? How will you manage that knowing it could've been avoided if we just continued holding hands?"

Her fast words overwhelm Estelle that she is left stuttering, trying to think of a way to refute it. "M-My lady— Emily...."

"Yes, my dear friend Stelle?" Emily looks at her, eyes fluttering and lips in a crescent shape, smiling.

Estelle hesitates, staring at her face and down their hands that are intertwined. Her lady's hand was soft and delicate free of any filth and has no hint of calluses... Warmth travelled up from the poor maid's neck to her cheeks at her own observation.

Estelle covered her face with her other hand before it was seen. "Never mind," she let's go of such ridiculous thoughts.
Let's go wherever you want to go."

She could not see how much Emily's eyes lit up at her answer.

I went for this not even having anything in mind other than two lesbians in love with each other but can't because of some shitty situation. Doing this for fun, let's see how this'll continue on.