[17] Where We Belong

Cheery chatter and hot, fleeting disputes swam around Gemma as she entered The Last Drop. A smattering of regular evening customers raised their hands to her, sometimes furnished with a half-drained glass, in a gesture she had witnessed many times during her shifts. It was the kind of welcome reserved for Milnhome stalwarts, and through some mystical sea change, she was now on its receiving end. They accepted her, and as the warmth budding in her waters whispered, she wanted to accept them too.

    Perched at the bar's near end, Elizabeth peeked at Gemma over the brim of a small glass of rosé. "Gemma! You're back!" she called, and she leaned from her stool to catch the girl in a fond embrace. "How are you feeling? Do you need this seat?"

    "Hey, Liz. I'm fine," Gemma said, suddenly hit by a strong, fruity air. Relieved joy flowed freely through Elizabeth's body, and even insulated by her pressing concern, Gemma could not help but conduct small particles of that energy. "Listen, have you seen Vee? I heard they were having problems here, and I just want to check in with her."

    "Iris hasn't said anything. Where'd you hear that?" As Elizabeth spoke, the crowd parted to unveil Nathan heading for their side of the bar. An amused huff left her nostrils. "Wow. He's terrible at this."

    Gemma cast a glance over her shoulder, a drop of confusion rippling through her eyes. "What do you mean?"

    "Nothing," Elizabeth answered, suppressing a laugh. Before Gemma could respond, she pointed towards the far staircase. "Vee asked for some time alone earlier, but I'm sure she'd make an exception for you."

    Wordlessly signing her gratitude, Gemma waded through the bustling crowd. The unlit, unstirring flat interior threatened to punch a hole in her soaring heart's wings, only for a sharp whistle to catch her ear. Overhead, the upper door hung ajar, beckoning her to the rooftop.

    A festival of colour blazed before her eyes. From the round sea-toned rug beneath Gemma's feet, to bold crimson flowers pulsing among the lush, leafy bedded plants, to the golden glow of fairy lights webbed between the gazebo's posts, new life burst from every speck of the rooftop space. The outdoor table stood ahead of her, its metal body scoured of the years' worth of rust that had claimed it. Soft pink cushions blushed from the surrounding seats, lighting an unyielding candle inside her heart.

    "Figured you could use this." Plucked from Gemma's mind, the wind weaved between the planters with the voice she sought. The veil of drooping leaves across the table rustled, then peeled away to admit Avery into the clearing. Her favoured flannel shirt lay slung over her shoulder, and her bracelets clicked together as she gestured around the redecorated rooftop. "After everything you've been through, I thought I'd give you a good surprise for once."

    "Vee!" The chairs rattled as Gemma rushed to throw her arms around Avery's neck. She pulled back, dazzled by the lights that danced in the girl's green eyes. "You didn't have to do all this, really. But...thanks. I love it."

    Shaking her head, Avery laughed and tossed her shirt over the nearest seat. "Sweet, because these flowers aren't refundable," she said, fiddling with the strap of her vest top. Genuine joy radiated from her movements, yet a twinge of nerves kept her glee in check. "I missed you, Gem. I...damn, I suck at this..."

    Gemma looked to the flowers, the lights, the gleaming furniture, all of which joined in protest at her friend's claim. "Relax. I missed you too," she said, leaning back to catch Avery's eye. "And I'm here now."

    The pendant along Avery's necklace glinted in the low light as she rolled it between her fingers. "I owe you like crazy," she began, anxiety jangling through her voice. She took a deep breath, looked Gemma in the eye, and let her feelings flow. "For fighting for Jake, for helping me open up about my folks, for making life here less dead and depressing – for everything. Even if the circumstances sucked, I'm super psyched I met you."