CHAPTER 3

Grace

As Evan strides away, leaving the house, a heavy weight settles upon me. I take a deep breath, gathering my thoughts to confront my parents.

"What the hell just happened?" I mutter to myself, the suddenness of it all overwhelming.

The house falls into a heavy silence as I look at my parents, frustration mixing with other emotions.

"Just now, that guy. Is he Evan?! The one who's supposed to be my arranged husband?!" I blurt out, filled with frustration.

"Yes, that's Evan," my mother answers, letting out a heavy sigh. She walks over and grabs my hands, holding them tight.

"I know this is really complicated. But please, you must understand that this is for the best. I've known Evan's mother for a long time—"

"You keep repeating it, Mom, over and over again. How is that supposed to help?! I understand that I will marry their son, but with that crappy attitude of his? I'm out!" I interrupt, my frustration boiling over.

Silence fills the room until my dad finally breaks it.

"We were facing a dilemma, but we had to accept it because of our financial debt. We understand that you are frustrated and you're living like a grown woman. But I know you can handle him, we just know and hope for the best," my father says.

"Do you think so?" I ask, piqued with curiosity.

"Of course! You're my smart and beautiful daughter, you're our smart thinker," my dad says with conviction.

I sigh, contemplating how this will end up.

After a few moments of thinking, I finally reply.

"Mom, Dad, I may not fully understand the implications, but I trust you guys."

Their expressions reflect a mix of relief and gratitude. "Grace, are you sure about this?" my mother asks, her voice filled with concern and hope.

I nod, a small smile forming on my lips. "I may not know Evan well yet, but perhaps there is more to him than meets the eye. Unless if he keeps acting like an asshole."

My dad chuckles, "We're proud of you, kid," he says, patting my back.

I feel a sense of relief wash over me, but I know I must watch out for Evan. I won't become prey if I can help it.

I calm down and stand up straighter. "I guess I should be ready for tomorrow night," I say, my voice steady and resolute.

My parents smile at me, their pride evident in their eyes. "We'll be here for you, Grace," my mother says, her voice filled with warmth and love.

Feeling grateful towards my parents, I hug them tightly.

As the evening draws to a close, I head back to my apartment, my mind filled with thoughts and emotions. Tomorrow night will change my life.

As I lay in bed, I wonder what the future holds in store for me. Will Evan prove to be the cold-hearted stranger I fear, or will he surprise me in ways I never expected?