ch ; 20

─── ・જ⁀➴ 20 જ⁀➴・ ───

Queasy Feels

The following week, Mark found himself sprawled out on his bed, his laptop resting on his stomach as he scrolled through various rental listings. Frustration gnawed at him as he struggled to find suitable accommodations for his friends during their upcoming visit to Yangpyeong. Despite his best efforts, none of the options seemed quite right, and Mark couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled in the pit of his stomach.

With a sigh, Mark tossed his laptop aside and ran a hand through his hair in frustration. He needed a break from the endless search, and a sudden thought occurred to him. Yeojung might have some suggestions for places his friends could stay. After all, she knew the town better than anyone.

Quickly changing into more casual attire, Mark left his house in search of Yeojung. He checked all the places he knew she frequented, but she was nowhere to be found. Growing increasingly frustrated, Mark's footsteps led him to the familiar comfort of a nearby cafe.

Slipping into a seat by the window, Mark set his writing book down on the table and ordered a cup of coffee. As he waited for his drink to arrive, he opened his book and began to jot down his thoughts. Writing had always been a source of solace for Mark, a way to escape the chaos of his thoughts and find clarity amidst the noise.

Lost in his writing, Mark didn't notice the world around him until he took a moment to pause and stretch. Glancing up, he caught sight of Yeojung outside the window, her back turned as she walked away.

Mark's heart skipped a beat at the sight of her, his instinct urging him to go after her. Without a second thought, he jumped up from his seat and hurried out of the cafe, determined to catch up with Yeojung before she disappeared from sight.

"Yeojung!" Mark called out, his voice echoing through the bustling street as he chased after her. "Wait up!"

But Yeojung seemed determined to evade him, quickening her pace as she darted through the crowded streets. Mark's frustration mounted as he struggled to keep up with her, weaving through the throngs of people in pursuit of her elusive figure.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of chasing, Mark managed to catch up to Yeojung, his chest heaving as he came to a stop beside her.

"Yeojung, wait," Mark said, breathless from his exertions. "I need to talk to you."

Yeojung paused, her expression guarded as she turned to face him. "What is it, Mark?"

Caught off guard by the intensity of her gaze, Mark struggled to find the right words. "I... I was wondering if you could help me," he began, his voice tentative. "My friends are coming to visit next week, and I've been trying to find a place for them to stay. I thought maybe you could recommend something?"

Yeojung's expression was neutral, "Of course! I'd be happy to help, Sir." she said, stiffly.

Mark furrowed his brow, puzzled by Yeojung's sudden formality. "Sir? Why are you calling me that?" he asked, his voice tinged with confusion.

Yeojung's smile faltered for a moment before she quickly recovered, offering a flimsy excuse. "Well, you're asking for my services," she replied, her tone overly cheerful. "I'm meeting you as Yangpyeong's Tour Guide."

Mark's confusion only deepened at her explanation, but he decided not to press the issue further. Instead, he followed Yeojung as she led the way back to the cafe, their footsteps echoing in the quiet streets.

As they entered the cozy establishment, Yeojung wasted no time to sit across him and Mark followed suit. "Let's get down to business, shall we?" she said, her voice brisk and business-like.

Mark nodded, trying to ignore the uneasy feeling that settled in the pit of his stomach. Something felt off about Yeojung's demeanor, and he couldn't shake the feeling that he had somehow crossed a line without realizing it.

"So, about my friends," Mark began, trying to steer the conversation back to more familiar territory. "I was thinking they could stay somewhere close to town, maybe with easy access to transportation. What do you think?"

Yeojung nodded, her expression professional as she listened to Mark's suggestions. "That sounds like a good plan," she said, her tone devoid of its usual warmth. "I can recommend a few places that fit your criteria."

Mark felt a pang of disappointment at Yeojung's lack of enthusiasm, but he pushed the feeling aside, focusing instead on the task at hand. Together, they discussed various options for accommodations, weighing the pros and cons of each location.

Despite their productive conversation, Mark couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered between them. Yeojung seemed distant and guarded, her usual bubbly personality replaced by a veneer of professionalism.

As they finished their discussion and parted ways outside the cafe, Mark couldn't help but feel a sense of disappointment. He had hoped that he could share his call with his friends to her, but instead, he found himself more confused and unsettled than ever before.

-

Continued.