The Sick and Weary

It was typical that Alma, at the moment she most wanted to appear strong, fell sick. Mere days after Lorelai arrived back in the loop, she felt the all-too-familiar pressure in her head and turning in her stomach. She felt the dryness in her throat and found herself hunched over coughing more than once a day. She was sick. Sick when she needed most to be healthy. Sick when she needed to be healthy enough not to cave to the part of the brain that pleaded for Lorelai's care. 

***

"Are you alright?" Lorelai asked, looking over at Alma with a worried gaze as she turned away from the meal she was preparing, coughing and spluttering.

"F- fine, fine" Alma lied in response, clasping her chest and pressing a handkerchief to her mouth. 

"Here" Lorelai poured her a glass of water and handed it too her "Drink" 

She took it, nodding her thanks. After a few seconds, the coughing subsided. Finishing her drink, Alma placed her empty glass back down on the counter.  "Go upstairs. Rest. I will finish supper and bring you some" 

Alma wanted to resist, but she could feel herself weakening by the moment. She nodded, attempting to turn away, but another fit of coughs came over her. Lorelai darted forward, wrapping her arm around the Ymbryne's waist, willingly taking her weight. Wanting to push away, but finding her body unwilling, Alma leaned into the embrace. 

Lorelai aided Alma up the stairs, helping her change before forcing her into bed. She retrieved blankets from the hallway cupboard and another glass of water, offering them to her. When Alma refused, she placed the glass on the bedside cabinet and the blanket at her feet before seating herself at Alma's side. She tried to turn away. Lorelai placed a hand on her shoulder and gently forced her back. 

"I don't ask your forgiveness" She said quietly "but I do pray your patience" 

"You shall have neither" 

"You are weary of me" Lorelai stated with a slight laugh. 

"I am weary of your presence, and of your leaving" Alma corrected "And for that I don't think you can blame me" 

"Perhaps not" 

After a moments hesitation, Lorelai leaned down and kissed Alma's cheek. She was not pushed away. "Rest, my love"

A/N - Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii