one: hello, summer

___

O N E

O N E

___

      GWEN GRIPPED THE STEERING wheel as she drove her mom and siblings to Cousins Beach. She was glad that she was able to drive, especially since it would prevent her mom from speaking with her too much. It seemed that Laurel, who didn't trust her with many things, trusted that she could drive all of them there safely for at least a third of the trip. Gwen was also grateful for her siblings throughout the trip. Steven and Belly had took the initiative to take turns sitting in the front when Gwen drove the car, already knowing how her relationship was with the mom.

"Uh, can you guys turn it down a little, please?" Laurel asked from the back. Belly was singing her heart out to a Kim Petras song, which put a smile on Gwen's face. She had begged the group to turn it up a couple minutes back and Gwen didn't see the harm in it.

     "Yes, please," Steven begged, looking towards Gwen with pleading eyes. She sighed as she did what she was told.

     "Thank you," Laurel stated in relief and continued, "I want you all to be better about helping out this summer. Like, don't just leave your dishes in the sink. Load them into the dishwasher. And not just your own dish, either, Steven."

     "What? But I..."

    "I want you to be good house guests," Laurel sternly stated, cutting the teen off. Belly laughed at the look on Steven's face. Gwen just shook her head, knowing how Steven was. Laurel caught the movement and her next words made Gwen bite her tongue. "And I'm talking to you as well, Gwen."

     "Mom, Susannah has people who clean, doesn't she?" Steven questioned, his eyes looking towards Gwen who had tightened her grip on the steering wheel again. She took a deep breath while her mom berated Steven, slapping a hand on his thigh.

"All right. All right. Sorry," He apologized before getting quiet.

"Just be considerate and act like I raised you right. Gwen snd Steven, that means don't stay out too late," Laurel looked at her two eldest children. The two immediately started to groan.

"Mom, come on. Steven I understand, but me? I just graduated, shouldn't I be able to have fun?" Gwen asked, ignoring Steven's booing at her in the back. She didn't understand why she had to have a curfew, it wasn't like Laurel cared enough anyway, so why did it matter?

"Wait, what about me? I don't have a curfew either, right?" Belly gapped at how her mom only mentioned her older siblings. Steven immediately began to laugh at the seriousness of her question in tone.