Chapter 3

Zane's POV:
I walk into the library and immediately head to the back of the room, hoping that Adeline will be there again. I mean I've had a crush on her since third grade. I have been to pussy to act on that crush until just now. I've never even thought about another girl, I've only ever wanted her. Sure there's been a few times I've had drunken make out sessions with random girls. But those always end in me accidentally saying Adeline's name while kissing them. I just wish I knew a way to show her how much I like her without seeming desperate.
When I reach the back of the library I notice Adeline crying. She's holding her knees to her chest and rocking herself. She looks like she's seen a ghost.
I rush down to her side and wrap arms around he pulling her in tight. "What happened?" I ask trying my best to keep my voice calm. She raises a shaky arm to point at the window. Following her gaze on the window I notice something and walk over to it. Oh shit! There is a bloody hand print smeared on the window. Slowly I move closer so that I can see what is below the window.
There's a body, not one i recognise though. It's a boy, he's got short scruffy blonde hair and purple eyes. He looks really young though, like a 9 year old. I think Adeline is having a panic attack. "Adeline, look at me. Deep breaths, umm, count to ten?" Hang on, I put my hands on Adeline's cheeks, lean in and kiss her. I know it's terrible but I am loving this moment. As if it's a reflex Adeline kisses me back, I would love to continue this but I can't. "W-w-what-t w-was that f-for?" She asks
"Well i saw on a tv show that holding your breath can stop a panic attack. And well when I kissed you you didn't breath, so" I reply. Adeline just nods, looking past me blankly. "You stay here and I'll go get a teacher, okay?" He says
"N-no, p-pl-please d-don't, l-leave m-me"
"Okay, I won't. Come on then, we need to get a teacher"
"O-okay".
I stand up first so I can help Adeline up as well. I put my arms under hers holding her elbows to support her while she gets up. When she's finally standing her legs are weak and she's struggling to stand, so I wrap my arm around her waist to hold her up. "You ok?" I ask
"N-no"
"Hey, it's okay we're going to get help"
"Y-yeah o-okay-y."
Oh great, perfect day for the librarian to not show up to work. The closest room from here is the principals office so we head there. "Oh, thank god. He's here" I mumble, I throw the door open and sit Adeline on the lounge. "Zane, Adeline what can I help you with?" He asks
"There's a body. Outside the window at the back of the library. It's a boy, looks no young than 9" I say breathily
"Yeah, okay. I'll, call the police. Can you show me, the body?"
"Yeah".
When we get to the body principal Lawson crouches down and checks for a pulse. "He's alive" he announces "I'm getting a slight pulse, not much though" I don't even know how to respond to that. "D-do y-y-you kn-know w-what c-caused th-this?" Adeline asks
"Looks like he's been stabbed" the principal replies, Adeline peruses her lips and nods. She's afraid "are you okay Adeline? Your very pale" the principal asks and again she just blankly nods. She's staring down at the boy but I can tell her mind is elsewhere. She's just chewing on her finger, she's blinking rapidly and I can see the tears welling up in her eyes. I place my hand on her shoulder and whisper in her ear "come with me" mindlessly she nods and I support her while we walk away.
I take her into the library, seeing as the closet thing when you walk through the door is the librarians desk I sit her down on that. "I-i didn't s-see w-what h-happened. I-I j-just saw him collapse" she says, her voice brittle "I-I should have g-gotten help. I-I just s-sat th-there. It's all my f-fault"
"Hey, look at me" I grab her face with one hand on either side of it "this is not your fault, okay? There's nothing you could have done. There's no way you could have known, no matter what you did it still would have happened"
"B-but. W-what if he, he d-dies. If I j-just w-went" I put my finger to her lips, signalling for her to stop talking. "Shhh" I step closer until I feel her knees pressed up against my stomach "it's okay." I say
"B-but"
"No. No buts, this is not your fault, okay?"
"O-okay" her gaze isn't here, she's looking at me but she's still overthinking this. I need a way to take her mind off of this, but how. Hang on, I just might have an idea for that.
I put my hands on her knees and she looks down at her knees to see what im doing. Slowly I part her legs and move closer again until I'm pressed up against the desk. Wrapping my arms around her I pull her into me, leaving our bodies pressed against each other. "W-what are y-you d-doing?" She asks, I smirk at her and wrap my arms around her tighter pulling her into me more. Shes so small and fragile like a flower, but I believe she might have some hidden thorns. "Z-Zane w-what..." I cut her off by kissing her, but I pull back almost immediately. Sitting on the desk makes her just the tiniest bit taller than I am. "W-why me?" She asks
"What do you mean?"
"W-well I-I never s-see y-you k-kissing anyone. B-but y-you've been k-kissing m-me and you've b-been r-really n-nice t-to me. W-why?"
"Well, I, umm, you, I-I've only ever liked you"
"M-me? W-why?"
"I don't know, I guess your just different. I've liked you since like third grade, since the very first time I ever talked to you. I can remember it like it was just yesterday" I rub my neck and leg out a embarrassed chuckle. "It was when you were in year two and our classes used to be joined. We got sat together in a seating plan, you kind of just ignored me and I couldn't stop looking at you. You were so beautiful, there was just something about you, that made me want to be close to you. I didn't know how to start a conversation with you so after class, at lunch." I let out an awkward chuckle "I walked over to you and said. I'm, wearing red socks" squeezed my eyes tight, until I felt the soft touch of a hand on my shoulder. I look up at Adeline to see her smiling face, which just makes me smile, even though I'm embarrassed as fuck. "I-I think I remembered that" it's good to hear her voice isn't so brittle. "I went home that day and told my mum, because I was completely and utterly confused. She told me that you liked me, I didn't even understand crushes back then."
"You've got a beautiful voice" I couldn't help myself, i probably look like I'm changing the subject. "Th-thanks" her cheeks flush red and all I want to do is kiss her.
I tighten my arms around her again, our body's were already pressed up against each other's. It's not finically possible for me to be closer than I already am to her, and yet I continue tightening my arms around her. She looks so beautiful. I reach my arm up and let her hair out, it falls down over her right shoulder. She sucks in a sharp breath and holds that breath until I lean in and kiss her on the lips lightly. I pull back and look at her to she she's got her eyes closed.
"Zane?" Adeline asks
"Hmmm?" I respond
"What do you like about me?"
"So much, so, so much. I love your beautiful grey eyes, the way you keep your hair nice all the time. Never having your hair out. The way you stick your tongue out and bite it when your doing school work. How you hold your books to your chest rather than putting them in your bag. How your the most beautiful person in the room but walk around with your gaze fixated on the ground." I brush hair from Adeline's face, behind her ear "but, that's all I know about you. I would love to get to know you better, so, would you go on a date with me?"
"I, uhh, y-yes" shit that doesn't sound to exited "I would love to". My smile gos wide and I lift her up and spin her around, kissing her in the forehead.
Adeline giggles and and it must be the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. "I'll pick you up at 5:00pm on Friday and bring you home on Sunday morning. If that's okay?"
"Yeah, that should be fine." I put her down and sit next to her on the floor "what book have you been reading? And no I am not trying to change the subject, because I love the subject we were on."
"Oh I was reading 'five survive" by Holly Jackson but I finished it yesterday. Now I'm reading 'Good girl's guide to murder' by Holly Jackson"
"Oh, yeah. What's that about?"
"Well, it's about this girl Pip who is trying to solve a murder but I don't know if it is a murder"
"Why's that?"
"Well, the girl who's murder she's trying to solve went missing. They don't have proof that's she's actually dead"
"Is it good?"
"Yeah, it's really interesting"
"That's good. I mean from what you told me it sounds quite interesting" Adeline lays her head on my shoulder and shuffles closer to me. My eyes shoot open and I look down at Adeline in complete and utter shock. My muscles tighten for a second but relax quickly, this just feels right. I rest my head oh hers and she snuggles into me. This feels like a dream come true. I look down at Adeline to see her eyes shut, looks like she's enjoying the moment, I hope. My eyes slowly flutter shut while I take in this moment.
Suddenly we're interrupted by the sound of someone clearing their throat. I look up to see who it is and of course it is Athena, Adeline's mum. I jump up onto my feet, Adeline does the same. "M-mum? W-what are you doing here?" Adeline asks
"I got a call from the school telling me what happened, that I should come and get you. That you guys found the boy, is that correct?" She inquires
"Yes" Adeline answers
"That's right ma'am" I reply
"Zane, right?"
"Yes ma'am"
"Don't call me ma'am, it makes me feel old. Is anyone coming to get you?"
"I, uhh, don't know"
"Okay, come with me, we will talk to the principal. Ask him what your parents said"
"Okay, thank you". Athena smiles and nods her head at me "come on then" she says. Athena starts to walk away, while Adeline and I follow.
—————
Please let me know any feedback you might have
It's not the best I'll admit so I'm sorry about that