Chpt 3: Hermione Thursday, September 1, 1994

I looked around the room one last time before we left for Kings Cross station. I'm glad I did because Y/n had left her wand on the dresser. She probably wouldn't need it for when she graduated but for school, it would be necessary.

After Y/n had left with Malfoy, Harry moved into Rons and I's room. I moved into the other room. I wasn't going to be in the same room as two boys. Like, kill me now.

I understood why Y/n decided not to tell anyone where she was going. It must've been hard for her but the backlash at the Burrow could've hit a close second. The twins were having a hard time not blurting out "Y/n's shagging her boyfriend!" when their parents were in the room. Harry had become distant, probably depressed at the fact that his getting along with Y/n was short-lived and I was missing my best friend.

I hoped Malfoy would drop her off at Kings Cross because Y/n has no sense of navigation. I was currently squished in between the twins on a bus. We finally arrived at the station at 10:45 and I quickly got out of the bus. We all lugged our luggage into our carts and managed to discreetly slip into Platform 9 ¾.

I looked around but I couldn't see Y/n. I told everyone else to go on ahead to the train as I stayed to look for my best friend. The train whistle blew and I had no choice but to go on the train and hope that Y/n was there too.

Harry and Ron had managed to score their own compartment and I joined them. They noticed Y/n was not trailing me. I sat down, hardly acknowledging the boys as I began to fret. For the past three years, we'd always sat in the same carriage. Harry, Ron, Y/n and I. It felt so wrong to have only three people in this carriage. What if she hadn't made it on the train? Would she be expelled? She'd worked so hard to be second best in class!

A knock threw me back into reality. Y/n! I quickly opened the door and let her in. She awkwardly took a seat next to me. I hadn't realized this would be tense.

"Hey," Y/n mumbled and I felt bad for her.

"How was Malfoy's cottage?" Harry didn't even look at her as he shot the question.

"It was actually quite nice." she retorted, abandoning her shyness.

"Could we not guys?" Ron and I said in sync. I blushed a little but covered it up quickly.

"If it was so lovely, then why aren't you still with him?" Harry spat, venom lacing his words.

"Because I thought I'd spend some time with my friends," Y/n replied nonchalantly, trying her best to keep calm.

Ron and I looked at each other, feeling completely helpless as the calm yet powerful storm raged between our best friends.

"I don't think I classify as your friend anymore, Y/l/n."

I let out a quiet gasp as Y/n eyes widened with shock. That was an extremely low blow. Y/n and Harry had always been as thick as thieves even with her being my best friend. Harry wasn't about to cry about his father on Rons' shoulder. But Y/n would always be there when he recounted how unfair it was that his father didn't make it through that night. And as much as I love Y/n, it was Harry who really understood her and her powers.

"You know what?" she snapped, "Maybe I don't even want to be your friend anymore. Look around Harry, no one else cares who I'm dating because I'm happy!"

And with that, she got up and left our compartment. I turned to glare at Harry. I threw a book at him. I suppose this would be our first year without riding on the Hogwarts Express together.

I went to go find her, dragging Ron behind me, but to no avail. When we got back, I feared the whole train might've heard me scolding Harry while Ron took a particular interest in his chocolate frog.