Chapter Twenty One

Mare

Evangeline has just dug her own grave.

Maven's words echo as I make my way to Corros. I had asked him to come, but he refused, insisting his kingdom could not survive his absence. Besides. His eyes had gleamed. I would hardly want to steal from your moment of triumph.

I tremble. He's so certain I'll win, so certain I'll live, so certain the Newbloods will follow my command. He must know of their rebellion, that their numbers are little more than two dozen.

He must know I will certainly die.

Shade tucks his arm around me, tight, the transport rattling around us. Ada smiles, yet there is unease beneath it. "You know the plan?"

"Absolutely not." I steady my breathing to no avail. "I don't know what we're up against. I don't know anything anymore. I–"

Shade turns me to face him. "It's okay, Mare Bear." His expression begs to differ. "We'll get through this. I know we will."

I swallow. The hours flash back to me, fresh and fragile, a promise I can't afford to reject. The Measures can be revoked, Mare. And all you have to do is subdue her.

My fists clench. Of course. Maven is who he is, and I can't change him. Even if it would be noble. Even if it would be right.

"Don't forget the bargains we've made. The secrets you're learning, the strength and power you're so close to grasping." Maven leans into my ear. "You're good at this, Mare. I know you are."

I shiver. He's a liar, but he's a good one, one that knows my desires and how to flatter them. I exhale, forcing steel into my voice. "We have to win." My hand digs into the cushions. "I don't care how."

Shade takes my hand. "I know." He kneels his head. "I know."

The Newblood had fled by the time we rallied the others, long gone to the train beneath the palace. A fleeting offer of peace and safety, one that went as quick as it came. It shakes Shade, I know. But it only cements my resolve.

"Gwendolyn has Nix and Cameron." I tap my foot. "They said they'll fight for the Measures, but no more."

Ada exhales. "The Merandus girl seems to have a hold of them. Not sure how long it'll last."

I sigh.

Maven's hands still ghost my frame, kisses against my collarbone as he submits to my will. An illusion. Even now, he has the upper hand. Even now, I can only beg for his mercy.

"We're here." Shade jolts me from my musings. "We can make a plan. We can still win."

My nails dig into my chest, and I wish I could claw to my heart. "We shouldn't have to."

Ada clears her throat. "What's done is done."

"Yes." The words weigh on my chest. "What's done is done."

I will live. I have to. I can't bear this weight and fight at the same time. My thoughts turn to Anabel, the information she so desperately craved. I have it now. I can lure her to my side, if we stopped by her manor.

"Change the route," I whisper. Shade jolts, even as I explain my reasoning, even as hope hinges on bringing more to our side. "We need Silver might."

Months ago, I would've balked at the words. Months ago, I would've rather torn my limbs off. But I know better than to fall to my own pride. I know better than to waste the chance to tear them apart.

The Lerolan estate is no brighter than last time, still mourning despite the rest of court moving on. Even my wardrobe has more red than black now. I steel myself. She already thinks less of me. I must prove her wrong.

My hand trails along the railing. "Your Majesty." I keep my voice level and head bowed. "I've found your bird watching partner."

She doesn't turn. Doesn't speak. Only taps the windowsill, staring into the courtyard. I clear my throat. "Lady Iral, right?"

A beat passes. I hold my breath.

"Yes." Her hands still, head lowering. "But it's too late."

I still. My fingers curl at my sides, searching for something they cannot grasp. I need more leverage. More lies. More–

My lips part. "I know where Elara is."

Anabel whips around, face hard as stone. Her nails graze the windowsill, scraping, screeching. "Do you, now."

"She's searching for those like me." The realization hits, a hard thud against concrete. "She's taking those who will not come, and turning them into weapons."

"Hmm." She cocks her head. "And how is this my problem?"

My face burns, an inferno. "Who do you think her enemies are, Your Majesty?"

"All of court." She doesn't blink. "You most of all."

I shake my head. "Either you use us, or she does. And I would rather take my chance with you."

She strides forward, fists clenched in her mourning robes. "I will not fight." The words hiss like steam. "Not for you. Not for him. And not for your band of Newblood freaks."

Lightning hums beneath my fingers.

"But I am willing to observe."

The sparks die.

Anabel takes my hand, staring me in the eye. "Train them on my grounds. Sheath them with my swords. But don't ever, ever, consider us equals."

I stare back. Neither Red nor Silver.

Stronger than both.

"Go." Anabel waves a hand. "And come back with victory."

I turn around. "I shall."

Barrow, Evangeline whispers in my head. I'll call you that next time we duel.