-1.1-

__________________________________

The morning sun filtered through the windows as Madelyn sat at the kitchen counter, munching on her breakfast. Her brother, Archie, bounded downstairs and greeted her with a cheerful "Morning!" before plopping down beside her.

"Hey, Archie," Madelyn replied, offering him a plate of pancakes. He nodded eagerly, and she served him a stack.

Just as they began to eat, their mother entered the kitchen. Her gaze lingered on Madelyn for a moment before she sighed disapprovingly. "Madelyn, that skirt is too short," she scolded "And for heaven's sake, people already know you're a girl."

Madelyn gave her mother an incredulous look. "Well, thank goodness for that. I was starting to worry," she said with a smirk.

Her mother's patience was wearing thin. "Don't be cheeky with me, young lady. Go change," she ordered, her voice becoming more stern.

As Maddison descended the stairs, her mother's disapproving gaze shifted from Madelyn to her sister. "At least she's dressed appropriately for school," her mom remarked, pointing at Maddison, who took a seat at the counter and started eating breakfast.

Madelyn rolled her eyes at her mom's comment and couldn't resist making a sassy jab about Maddison's outfit. "Sure, if her goal is to blend into the wallpaper," she retorted.

Their mother's patience was running out. "Don't you dare speak to your sister like that," she snapped, glaring at Madelyn. "You're already grounded for what happened last week. If you continue with that attitude, you'll regret every joke you've ever made." she threatened.

Maddison shot her a disapproving glance but remained silent, focusing on her food. As her mother's anger flared, Maddison leaned in and whispered, "At least I don't look like a hooker."

Madelyn looked at her mom in disbelief. "Did you hear that, Mom? Maddison just treated me of a hooker!" she exclaimed, frustration evident in her voice.

But her mom didn't seem to care, her attention already focused on the chaos of the morning. Their argument was abruptly interrupted by a honk outside the house. For a moment, no one spoke, but Madelyn and her mom exchanged a tense glance.

Without a word from her mom, Madelyn seized the opportunity and bolted out the door, giving her brother a quick kiss on the cheek as she passed by, grabbing her bag in a hurry.

"Madelyn, get back here right now!" her mom shouted after her, but Madelyn ignored her, determined to escape the impending confrontation.

Her mom started running after her, yelling for her to return immediately. But Madelyn didn't care. She reached the car, quickly opened the door, and jumped in. "Go, Missy, go!" she urged, her heart racing.