Prom Night

Blaze

She moved out that night, but she only took what she could fit in her car.

I felt betrayed by my sister who'd helped her move, but I also didn't blame her. She loved Sapphire and I could see why she'd help the woman I loved and the sister she'd always wanted.

I tried so hard to get her to talk to me, but she wouldn't answer my phone calls or my messages so I just drank a lot and went back to the same old shit I used to do which was raise hell. I didn't sleep and I lived off of energy drinks and coffee again.

Her smell was still lingering in the townhouse and she'd left her soaps and shampoos. Fucking lavenders and cherry blossoms, sweet peas and violets..... She left the desk, but she'd taken the camera. The townhouse was hers, but she didn't care. She thought I'd take it from her which I would not have. Ever.

Her dress was sent to us and I wanted so badly to look at it, but I messaged her to let her know it had arrived and she texted me to give it to Star.

She'd started parking in the front lot so I wouldn't see her in the mornings and she'd moved to the opposite side of the room in history class. When I tried to sit next to her, the teacher told me to move to the back of the class. My little lioness had her own connections now.

She looked different, still beautiful, but so empty. I'd dimmed the light that was in her and now I didn't know how to turn it back on.

I hadn't slept in days so when I was sent to the office for continued insubordination and tardiness, she didn't even look up at me.

I would see her with Brent and other people she knew, some were guys I knew thought they could get her in bed. I noticed more of her stuff was missing from the townhouse every time I went back. She was slowly moving out without having to see me.

We had a pep rally for the end of school and she'd sat on the other side of the gymnasium taking photos for the yearbook. She wasn't using the camera I'd bought her. I'm surprised she found me in the sea of students, but when she did and her eyes met mine, she turned away.

I knew she was living with Opal and the kids again and it pissed me off. She should have stayed at the townhouse and I would have just moved in with Greg. Hell, I would have had Star move in with her just to help with rent. She wouldn't have let me pay it any longer.

Evelyn and Peter would stop by every now and then. She'd apparently baked them a pecan pie and brought it to them right before I gotten home one day. I'd just missed her. They were sad to see us split up, but even Peter told me if it's meant to be it will be.

Sapphire

I avoided him at all costs.

We'd pass each other in the halls and I'd feel his hand brush mine, but I wouldn't look back. I knew he wanted me to. I'd been picked on relentlessly since we split up and he didn't know it. So many assholes at the school wouldn't let me forget what had happened. I stopped going to the cafeteria for lunch and so had Melissa. Greg wasn't happy about it and he'd been looking rough, too.

I felt bad for them. Whatever they had going on seemed like it was taking off at one point.

I stared at my prom dress for the longest time as I settled in for the night. Opal and Em had told me I should go stag or go with Melissa, but I didn't feel like going. I'd even asked my Mother to make the dress a dark green because it was Blaze's favorite color. It was such a beautifully crafted piece of art.

I always had dreams about him. I'd been so naive to think I'd actually found love. I was in the wrong, too, but I was so crushed that he'd done it anyway. I knew in my mind what he was doing, but my heart held out hope.