Something About Monsters

Alright. It's been three years now.

Let's recap before we continue.

This all started when OMORI chose to jump off the edge of the hospital roof. SUNNY and OMORI had a final battle between the two of them to handle how to wrestle with the guilt and pain that they'd been carrying for all these years.

The guilt for killing his sister and framing it as a suicide.

OMORI won, as you could probably tell.

Yet somehow, in some way, this wasn't the end of his story.

Whether it was by going back to the past or even traveling to some kind of parallel universe, the incident that led to MARI's death didn't happen. Things played out differently as MARI's body was wrapped protectively by her little brother before the fall, allowing her to be safe and sound.

Her little brother ended up suffering instead as a cost, his left eye impaled by the violin at the bottom of the stairs.

Years passed by with him being stuck in a coma, oblivious to the alien world around him.

OMORI woke up in the end, not realizing where he was, and yet finally reunited with the sister he thought he'd never see again.

He believed he was in a dream at first. A perfect dream, where everything that happened to him never actually happened. A dream where he was given a second chance. A perfect dream that a murderer like him never deserved.

But the situation ended up being a bit more complicated than it seemed... In this different reality, MARI seemed to have taken his place instead, becoming the grieving guilt-ridden shut-in that he was supposed to be. She had given up on her future, her education, and even her own friends just so that she could wait by her little brother's side until he woke up.

In the last six years during his coma, MARI also had her own HEADSPACE. She lived in that world under the name HIKIKO, similar to how OMORI was with SUNNY.

The only reason he even found this out was because he traveled into her HEADSPACE after going to sleep next to her with White Egret Orchids placed in their room, the flowers that let you pass on your thoughts into a person's dreams.

This was when OMORI realized the whole reason why he was placed in this alternate reality to begin with.

This was the punishment he needed to go through before he could finally have the right to die. He had to save his sister as karmic justice for killing her all those years ago in his world.

Based on his experiences with his own HEADSPACE, it could only mean that MARI was dealing with trauma that she was trying to repress in her mind like he once did. If he could figure out exactly what she was hiding from herself, OMORI would be able to help his sister start a journey of forgiveness. She'd be able to recover from her trauma and come back to her old self again.

OMORI would be able to do for her what he was never able to do himself.

Throughout this journey, he was able to meet some of his old friends again and react to their new life in this different reality where MARI never died. Through them, they'll be able to help give him insight as to what happened to MARI after the day the recital was supposed to happen.

OMORI had no idea what he was doing, only able to make small progress so far. Guesswork and small theories based on what little he could learn.

Still, he was on the right track. OMORI just needed to stay determined while getting past all the obstacles laid out in front of him, and he'd be able to reach out to save his sister from suffering the same fate that happened to him.