〉 Let Me Try 〈

The moment of hesitation was enough to dampen the swiftly spreading fire between them

The moment of hesitation was enough to dampen the swiftly spreading fire between them. Though Dae couldn't hide his disappointment, he chose not to press any further. Everything felt new, even to him, so perhaps it was better to ease off before they rushed again. Carmina ran out of the cabin, giggling, and Dae pursued her like a fox chasing its elusive prey. Yet today, Carmina was the cunning fox. Wrapped in a plush, cozy blanket, her striking carrot-colored hair shimmered under the catamaran's lamps, cascading softly over her shoulders. She sat on one of the deck sofas and gazed at the stars with childlike wonder. In that moment, she was everything he craved-a spark reigniting his extinguished soul.

As if enchanted, Dae gazed at his companion. Carmina patted the spot next to her and sent him one of her prettiest smiles. "Will you sit with me here for a while?" Her sleepy voice sounded so sweet to Dae that he almost cooed, feeling the urge to grab her and squeeze her in a burst of happiness. But he had to control himself; after all, he was a mature man.

"Aren't you sleepy?" he asked, settling down beside her. Carmina shook her head and wrapped him in half of the blanket.

"Oh?" he let out, and she laughed softly. "Sharing is caring, Dae."

"So you DO care, huh?"

Exactly. Does she care? It's such a simple question, yet suddenly it became apparent that she herself had caught feelings beyond what she expected, certainly much more than she could admit to him. "Would you like me to answer that with a yes?"
What sort of question is that, anyway?! - she scolded herself silently. But Dae gave it considerable thought nonetheless. .

"I'd like to. You've brought a breath of fresh air into my life, like a sea breeze. Unexpectedly. And I..." He lightly bit his lip, considering whether he should let these words escape. But what did he have to lose? They only had seven days left together, seven days until the end of their stay. And then what? "And I... I thought I wasn't allowed to feel this way, that I wasn't meant to peacefully enjoy life like this. Maybe it's silly, maybe it sounds absurd, but back home in Korea, every day is packed with action, people, work, fans, meetings. I come home and... I'm sorry, I won't burden you with this."

"Dae..." Carmina intertwined her hand with his. "You told me yourself at the helm that it's just an open sea. What could possibly be more important than this moment? Tell me more. About yourself, about your country, about your culture."

"For a fleeting moment, Dae wavered. Expressing his thoughts wasn't going to be easy. Yet, perhaps Carmina had a point. Maybe it was time to toss his burdens overboard.

"When I return home, there are only two bleak options awaiting me. Either I'm drained to the point of collapsing into bed, unconscious before my head hits the pillow, or I'm faced with empty walls, clueless about how to occupy myself. I open the door, only to be greeted by silence. No one is waiting for me. In those moments, one can only question the purpose of it all, wondering if any of our efforts truly matter."