CHAPTER TWENTY

PORK-BARRELLING

PORK-BARRELLING

....💔...

AS Harper followed an overwhelmed Amerie back to her house and Quinni went off to begin her investigation board, Fly had invited Darren back to her house for the night, partly because she could tell they were rattled by Chook's words about Ca$h and the other part was so she wouldn't be on her own.

"--And with my dad leaving I have no choice but to go back and stay with my mum and step-dad." Darren huffed as the two made their way inside, Fly tossing her keys in the bowl by the door only for the pair to let out nosies of protest at the sight of the Helena and Peter Rivers people all over each other on the couch. A common sight over the last two months since the pair started dating once again.

Fly's eyes widened as the pair pulled apart, rushing to readjust their clothes "Jesus, mum."

"I'm gonna vom." Darren gagged as their father cleared his throat "Can I borrow some bleach for my eyes?"

"Mija." Helena breathed out as she pulled her bra strap back under her cardigan sweater vest "Darren."

Peter smiled sheepishly as he finished buttoning up his shirt "It's good that you're both here. We need to talk to you. Sit, please."

Fly's heart dropped as she looked to her mother "You're not pregnant, are you?"

"Felicity." Helena scolded, cheeks flushed as the pair took a seat on the coffee table.

Peter cleared his throat "And as you know I leave for my book tour tomorrow--"

"Self-funded book tour for a self-funded book." Darren interjected, arms folded across their chest. They were still bitter about having to live with their mother once again.

Peter sighed and looked to Fly "I've asked your mum to come with me."

Fly's heart dropped "What?"

"I'm due some holidays and with May coming up..." Helena trailed off, sitting forward to catch her daughters eye as both of their throats became clogged with emotion "I won't go if you're not okay with this. I won't go if you need me."