Two

"Seresin! My office!" I look up to see Chief Beau Simpson leaning out his office door, waiting for me to acknowledge him

"Seresin! My office!" I look up to see Chief Beau Simpson leaning out his office door, waiting for me to acknowledge him. "Now!"

Shit, he's angry.

Walking quickly over I stand stiffly in front of his desk, watching as he takes a seat behind it. After a long, awkward silence he sighs. "What is this?" He asks, gesturing to the papers spread out on the desk.

"The Furies case files, sir?" I respond, glancing down at the large stacks of papers.

"Five years Seresin. Its been five years since you took over the task force." He looks up at me then, his piercing green eyes staring into my soul. "This whole case should have come to end years ago. Instead, all I have is some shitty paperwork filled with bullshit."

"Well sir--"

"December 13, 2018 'Caught sight of Persephone and Hera, no identifying details to note, evaded capture', March 27, 2019 'Shoot out with the furies, sights locked on Persephone, no desirable details to note, evaded capture'." Simpson starts reading every single time Em and the girls evaded us and starts to get more frustrated and red in the face as he continues. "August 8, 2021 'face to face encounter with Persephone, no identifying details to note, shots fired, no blood or DNA located at scene, evaded capture.' and most recently, November 28, 2023 'shots fired towards the Furies, DNA discovered at scene, no connection to criminal records, results inconclusive. Furies evade capture.' Do you realize how this looks Seresin?"

"Yes sir." There's no use in coming up with excuses at this point, either I'm caught, fired, or damn lucky that he isn't as bright as I hoped.

"Are you sure, son? Cause this is making me look incompetent for assigning my supposed best officer to the job and five years later he has come up with nothing." Simpson is nearly read in the face with anger.

"I understand sir."

"Look, I like you Jake. You've been with us a long time and have never let me down. Son I'm giving you 6 months to figure this out or you go back to regular cases." He calms a little and I release a soft sigh of relief. "That being said, I'm bringing in someone to help you out here. She's a Texas Ranger and has a lot of experience in catching vigilantes. Catch her up on the case and keep her informed. She goes everywhere with you, Seresin. If you follow a lead she better be right with you, do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good, she'll be here within the hour." I nod and stand to leave when Simpson calls me back. "And Jake?" I turn back as he speaks. "Don't let me down again."

The Texas Ranger in fact did not show up an hour later but rather 15 minutes while I was having lunch with Em at Cora's down the street. Although instead of waiting at the station, Simpson mentioned where I was and here she is, walking towards our table.

"Commander Seresin, I was told I'd find you here." She smiles, stopping at the edge of the table.

"Excuse me?" Em's already not having it with her and neither am I.