Chapter 30

I OPENED THE FRONT DOOR APPREHENSIVELY, greeting my parents in the same manner. My fears were unfounded as my mother lunged, flinging her arms around me in a tearful embrace.

"Oh, my beautiful son, I have missed you so."

Tears welled as my arms slid tightly around her narrow waist. "I've missed you too, Mum, just as much. I regret our fight like you wouldn't believe. It was pointless and nearly cost me one of the most important people in my life."

Mother's soft hand caressed my cheek. My eyes slid closed, embracing the poignant moment between us. "Oh, Ari, you could never lose me; I'm your mother, so you're stuck with me. Until I die anyway." Well, almost poignant.

I chuckled heartily. "Even then, you'd haunt me."

"Relentlessly."

My brows shot up. "Without a doubt, Mother, but I wouldn't want it any other way." I lovingly squeezed her hand. "Now, let me introduce you to Lexie's family. You'll absolutely love them."

"Lead the way then."

Once all the necessary introductions were made in the relaxed environment of my downstairs family room, we each ambled through the house, making our way outside to the deck by the pool. The extra wait staff I'd hired continually walked around, keeping us refreshed with drinks and appetisers.

Upon taking a Pinot Noir and a king crab pastry from the passing waiter, an affectionate smile formed watching my mother, the natural-born schmoozer, as Lexie had stated, interact freely and openly once again, lifting my spirits immensely. My smile broadened at the reason striding sensuously towards me. My appreciative gaze raked over her attire and somehow paused at the plunging neckline of her white embroidered floral maxi dress. So perfect.

"Was I right, or was I right?" she murmured, gliding bare arms around my neck.

"You were most definitely right on the mark, my love. Good call." I tilted my head and planted a soft, lingering kiss on Lexie's delicious mouth. Her tongue swept across my bottom lip.

"Mmm, I think you've got crabs."

"Quite possibly, you can give me a closer inspection later." Amusement danced over my face. "Just to be on the safe side."

Her shapely brow lifted over glinting dark eyes. "Oh, I'll be extremely thorough."

"I'm counting on it."

Our briefly intimate moment was suddenly interrupted by one of the staff informing us that our dinner was ready.

"Shall we?" I murmured, placing a hand on the small of Lexie's back, with the two of us slowly trailing behind everyone else as they preceded us towards the alfresco patio beside the pool.

The light breeze blew, catching the blended scents of the vanilla candles burning in candelabras and the gardenia and rose centrepieces on the table. One of my favourite blues singers played quietly in the background, completing what had so far transpired into a successful evening.

I pulled out the chair beside mine at the head of the table for Lexie, pressing a soft kiss to the crown of her smoothed hair as I pushed it in.

"Always the gentleman still I see, son," my father light-heartedly noted upon taking his seat on the opposite side of Lexie.

"Mother would kick my arse if I was anything less." I chuckled, setting my glass in front of me.

He acknowledged with a surreptitious nod of the head. "And mine for failing to teach you."