Chapter 28: Together

Moth flew low above the ground as Doll steered him towards the Pub.

Coincidence sped next to them, with Fate hanging on to dear life and Time silently sitting next to her.

Time glanced out of the window. Their gaze fixed on Doll and Moth.
Time sighed.
"To know I had forgotten all about them... If I had only given them more of myself... If I had only been patient enough..."
Time shook their head. "But I moved on the moment things became tough. I abandoned them and look where they are now! In the only place I can't even go...."
Time gestured at the robots. "Look at them working. Look at how Moth flies. Look at how in synch they are! They're working together. After all these years they're working... Together."

Time remained silent for a moment. They then looked at Fate.
"Don't give up on Hope, Fate. Don't you dare abandon her when things ever get tough.
Don't make the same mistakes I did. Life's too precious to be discarded and you'll always wonder what if. What if I had tried harder? What if I had been more patient?
Find your patience, Fate, and give her your time."

Fate shortly glanced at Time, her fingers dug in her seat and the roof as sheer panic was written all over her face. She quickly stared ahead, watching huge boulders come at them and then zoom passed them.
"Do you really think that I would risk my life to find Hope and then walk away the moment it gets tough?! Even if she doesn't want to come with me, I'm going to drag her arse out off Limbo and I'm going to bring her back to Life."

"Pinky promise?" Time turned towards Fate and held out their pinky.

Fate glanced at Time and then back at the road. She gulped, let go off the roof and shook pinkies. "Heck yeah."

Time smiled. "That's the spirit, Fate. Now all you have to do, is trust Coincidence."

"Heck no!"

Coincidence angrily accelerated.

Fate screeched louder than Coincidence's tires.

🔹🌹🔹

The Pub door opened and Fate stumbled through it. She staggered her way to a chair and sat down, hyperventilating. "No more," she said. "I'm never getting in that car again. Coincidence is mad. Mad! I tell you, she's a maniac behind the wheel."

Time strolled in. "You just have to learn to let go, Fate. You're always in control, so of course it's scary when someone else drives."

"She'll drive me crazy one day, if she already hasn't. How can you stay so calm under such reckless behaviour?!"

Time shrugged. "She's Coincidence, you're Fate and I'm Time. If anything goes wrong one of us would react quickly enough, right? I have faith in us."

Fate stared at Time. "You're just as mad as she is."

"I feel perfectly sane, thank you very much."

Reginald opened his arm as he rushed towards Time and Fate. "Welcome to the Pub," he said. "I hope you found it easily."

Time gestured at Moth and Doll who slipped passed. "We've had some help. They said this is the place to be."

"They weren't wrong." Reginald smiled, showing his golden teeth. He shook Time's hand. "Welcome, welcome," he said. "I'm Reginald, but please call me Uncle Reggie. And you are? Did I hear it right? Are you Thyme and Faith? And where is this other person you've mentioned? The driver?"

Time wanted to correct Reginald, but Doll signed them not to.

Time scraped their throat. "Right," they said. "Thyme and Faith... The driver had to go to the loo. She might be here any second."