What Next?

"What will you do next?" Heather asked me after we listened to Malcolm's begging fade off into the distance below.

I thought about my itinerary and looked up as I did so to trace my upcoming route in my mind. "I'm scheduled to go up on an R&D tour: a few space stations and manufacturing facilities. Drop in on the L5 colony and see Helen and Rachel. Both Rachels are there right now. My wife and my daughter. Then on to the moon to see Diana and Janey. See how construction is going. Then out to Mars and the Asteroid Belt. Back to here."

I tossed a sour look at the elevator door as if it was its fault that Malcolm had emerged from it earlier. "However, and while I am not pissing on your idea to keep him at bay, this fucking meeting throws a monkey wrench into that tour plan. I was going to Mars to see Laura, Dad, and Marvin. See how the new ship projects were going. Now they'll have to come here to brainstorm up a bunch of joint projects we can use as a smokescreen. Keep Global busy and distracted. Make Malcolm rich enough to retire and steal Bob. Your plan is good here. You know as well as I we are not close to ready to get off the Earth. Not all of us. We need another 80 to 100 years to have enough off-world space for everyone. Not even counting if you and Dad and Laura get the N-drive working and we start extra-solar expeditions. I was going to be gone for a few months as part of a supposed R&D oversight tour. Guess I am putting that off until after the meetings. Once Dad and Laura are freed back up, I imagine they'll head back to Mars at 1G constant to continue work on their project. Marvin and Sky will probably stay here to see Morgan for a while since he is here. Or maybe Morgan will come with me on the tour. Who knows? Depends in part on what Denise has Morgan doing for Crew I guess."

"Actually? I mean tonight. I can see your itinerary just fine." Heather tapped her head with one finger to remind me of her connection to computers. I'll be glad when we get implants that work in Vampires that let us commune with our computer friends. The downside of our immune system. Implants are not welcome.

"You headed anywhere tonight? In the rain?" Heather clarified

"Oh. I see. No. I'm pouring myself another beer and headed for the porch to watch the rain. Interested? Or are you zooming off somewhere?"

"You are spending the night here?"

"I am. Shower and bed. Why we have an executive suite on this floor. Some of us can't fly anywhere in the world in a few moments." I pointed out.

I did not sound envious. I am not sure I would want to have to have Heather's power any more than she does. It has its advantages. Without her working with Dad and Laura, we'd be nowhere near N-drive. It takes Heather's innate understanding of Localverses and the Universe to even begin to build the devices to traverse and escape the laws of Localverse physics.

"Then, of course, I am staying. Pour me a beer?"

I went into the office and to the beer taps and freshened up our mugs. "Why is that an 'of course'." I asked. "You can be anywhere. You want to see Bill? He's in Maine. Cristine is over in France with Nakoma while Nakoma is being the current 'Claremont' heir. You can get there in a few minutes. Tops."

Heather laughed at me and took a sip. "Yeah. Right."

"What?" I asked, not following her amusement. It's obvious when you command her kind of power that she can do that.

"What nothing. Don't be dense. Who all is here? From the family, I mean. In this city. With you."

"Just you." I said.

"Exactly." Heather said with a little bit of triumph.

Lights went on. "Oh. Jessica's rule."

" 'Oh' indeed. Now you are getting it."