Chapter Nineteen

The last day of school had arrived and it was time for us to go our separate ways for the winter months. We had said all of our goodbyes and now Vic and I stood on the train platform in Fletch. He was riding the train further south along the coast while I was headed across the country. So, this was our goodbye for now.

"Its been quite a year, hasn't it?" Vic asked.

I nodded. "I wouldn't have made it without you."

"That's what a tutor is for," Vic said with an easy shrug.

"And friends, too."

Vic smiled and hugged me.

I hugged him back, a solid, firm hug, trying to convey the emotion that had been stripped from me.

Vic patted my back and I knew he'd gotten the message. I let go and he stepped back.

"Have a good winter, Tor and I'll see you when we get back for our next Academy year!" Vic waved and headed off to board his train.

I did the same, this time dropping my belongings in the sleeper car before heading into the other areas of the train. I was no longer the fearful boy I had been a year ago. I was properly equipped to handle myself. I had no real desire to socialize but I knew that extended isolation was my enemy. I didn't want to lose all of the progress I had made; I feared how easy it would be to slip back into the anxiety-ridden boy I had been such a short time ago.

"Tor!"

Hearing my name, I looked over to see a group of Nox sitting together. Since the train traveled through Dhark Forest, of course Nox would be on it.

I sat next to Vera and they returned to their conversation.

"So, what are you going to do now?" Vaso asked Vidya and Vasha.

"I'd like to be a teacher. The best universities are in Nomala which are off-limits to me," Vidya gave an easy shrug. "So, I'm going back home to Ravenwood to teach there."

Vasha looked thoughtful. "I'm not sure. There's nothing I really want to do, you know? So, I'll go home and just see what happens next."

Vaso frowned. "You don't know what you want to do next?"

"Just because Vasha and I are finished at the Academy doesn't mean we know everything," Vidya answered.

"Yeah, the Academy is great at teaching us about our element but what we do with what we've learned is up to us," Vasha said, pointing at herself.

"And it doesn't even have to revolve around our element if we don't want it to. How much or how little we use our elemental abilities in our day-to-day lives is also something we have to figure out for ourselves."

Vaso nodded, absorbing what the older girls had said as the conversation continued.

"What about you, Violet? Any plans for the winter?" Vasha asked.

"Not really. Winter is the quiet season for fishing. Hudson invited me to Wella-Wella but we'll see," Violet answered.

"Ooh, Hudson," Vaso teased, along with the other Nox.

"I'm not surprised. The Aqua aren't the boldest of elements. Much as they are like water, they hate to make waves, especially if its even remotely controversial, like being friends with Nox," Vidya said.

"What is surprising is that he acted on his feelings but I don't like the idea of him hiding a relationship with you."

"Stop, it's not like that," Violet protested, eyes wide with distress at mention of the Aqua boy.

The older girls exchanged a knowing look between them.

"Suit yourself, Violet," Vera said.

"We just want you to be careful, is all," Vasha said.

Violet nodded, eyes dropping to her lap.

Thankfully, the others dropped it and the conversation moved on. Having lived and trained together for the past year (and for everybody other than me and Vaso much longer), the conversation continued with ease.

This train ride home was completely different from my trip to the Academy. I was surrounded by friends and while-given the choice-I would forsake my powers in a heartbeat-I felt okay; something I never thought I would feel ever again.

Ravenwood is the largest city in Dhark Forest, hidden in the shadow of the mountain. It was the last stop the train made. Vidya, Vera and Vaso all called it home so we disembarked together. Then, we parted ways for the last time as we each found our families waiting for us at the platform.

My father stood out, literally head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd but even if his size wasn't a dead giveaway, his bare blond head and blue eyes stuck out amongst the dark hair and hooded faces all around him. I made my way through the crowd and he began to do the same. Even before we'd reached each other, his face had broken out into a smile at the sight of me. As soon as I was within reach, he drew me into a big hug, lifting me clear off the ground and squeezing me tight. I used to love it when he did that but the last time he'd hugged me I'd flinched away from his touch.

After a year of being retaught how to hug by the Nox, I once more felt something stir within me at this familiar embrace. I couldn't fully return it, helpless in my father's arms but he set me down after only a moment, allowing me to stand on my own two feet once more.

He studied me for a moment, the light of tears in his eyes but they did not fall. Seeming to realize he was staring, he gathered himself to speak. "You look well, son. Its so good to have you home. I want to hear all about your time at the Academy but best to wait until we're back with the rest of the family," Father said.

I nodded, overwhelmed.

In truth, I was anxious about returning to the mountain. It was the place I had been born and raised, the place my family lived. It was my home. I had loved and missed it dearly over the past year. At the same time, I was uncertain how I would handle being surrounded by my element. I could manage my powers now but I worried how the perpetual ice and snow of the mountain would affect me.

Would I lose control again?

Would I hurt someone?

That was the last thing I wanted.

Yet, the alternative was to never go home again and I couldn't bear the thought of that either. So, I had to face my fear. I had to find out one way or the other. At least I had a whole week to figure it out before I reached my family. That was plenty of time to either try to renew my control over my powers or know for sure that I couldn't handle it.

As soon as we left the forest behind and replaced it with ice and snow, I had my father pause the sled. I stepped into the snow, the wind whipping fiercely around me for a moment. Then, it gentled, as soft as a caress and a light snow began to fall. I lifted my face to scan the horizon, the mountain's peak a familiar sight.

For the very first time in over a year, I felt my heart soar and I smiled.

I had finally come home.